Oil Leak.

redneckracer

Reaction score
Ok ya'll this is my first kick at the can looking for help..
I have a nasty oil leak from the front end. narrowed it down to what i thought was the front main seal. Is it possible that i did that job wrong twice or can the crank be just a touch warped? Any thoughts or idea's before i take it to the shop and shell out big coin.

Cheers.

stroker221

Reaction score
If its anything like the Cummins engines where the crank gets grooves in it then maybe its leaking around that. They have a fix for that on those trucks i believe where it seals the groove so it doesnt leak. Was your crank grooved?
I'm only guessing but trying to help.

78f100

Reaction score
It should have had a wear ring under the old seal, so crank should not be wore. The new seal should have a wear ring built on to it. Did you use a seal installer tool or just tap it in?
Did you pull the oil pump? And replace the o ring gasket behind the oil pump housing, if not that may be where your leak is coming from.

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Possible you scratched where the seal seats on the outside? I did that on a pinion seal once and took me a couple seals to figure out why it wouldn't stop leaking. Installed another new seal with some RTV where the scratch was and it's been good ever since.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Need to install the seal with the sleeve it comes with, using the correct tool.

redneckracer

Reaction score
Ill investigate the outside for a scratch/ see if the seal was damaged on install and get a seal install tool to do redo the whole thing. Thanks again for all the insight and help gents.

redneckracer

Reaction score
Oil leak corrected... Wear sleeve was driven in too far the first time i did the repair. Sooo ya'll if your doing repairs yourself... watch what your doing... and it can save a trip to the dealership.

Latest posts

Members online