Oil Pan Reseal

caladash

Reaction score
When resealling an oil pan, what is the proper way? I know motor upside down, apply motorcraft rtv to block. Is it better to wait a few minutes or install pan right away? Let pan sit on rtv for a bit or torque right away? Would like to do this once!

ToMang07

Reaction score
I believe you're supposed to let it film over for 10-20 minutes before you install the pan to the block. IIRC it says on the tube of RTV, assuming you bought the Motorcraft brand.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I really dont think it matters. We use ford grey on mack and cummins oil pans at work when the gaskets go bad, with engine in the truck, I always just clean well, make sure theres no oil on the block mating surface, and slap the pan up there immediatley and they never leak

Zmann

Reaction score
I wouldn't deviate from the Ford black

for some reason I have seen more post on fails if it's not used and mechanics saying they will only use the ford black for this particular repair

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Never seen nor hears of Ford black.

10 minutes after done applying, set pan down on guide pins you made, finger tight all bolts, run them down evenly, wait another 5 minutes than torque. If you tighten while Rtv is runny and goopy it tends to squeeze out more. Same way with diff covers

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Follow the measurements of thickness of the beads also.

caladash

Reaction score
Only thing it says is to "assemble parts while still wet".

I figured it had to sit for a bit. Can the same rule be followed for installing the front cover?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Fit the oil pan as soon as you get done applying the sealant. You don't want the bead to skin. The tackier the better. Be careful not to apply too much as you don't want chunks of rtv floating around in your crankcase. Also, keep the sealant out of the bolt holes in the block.

Zmann

Reaction score
MOTORCRAFT TA-31 LIQUID OIL PAN GASKET

SKU: TA-31
MSRP: $19.98

SPECIALLY DESIGNED BY FORD FOR THE 7.3L OIL PANS

Sorry it's gray the last special sealant I needed from ford was butyl black

Latest posts

Members online