oil temp and coolant temp for 6.0

junglejoe

Reaction score
Ok, seems I might have a situation here. I have a SCT Livewire and monitor the oil temp and the coolant temp. Seems the oil driving down the road at a steady pace is running between 196-202 degrees. The coolant is 176-180 degrees. Is this a sign of oil cooler problems or stuck thermostat? Even around town the oil is hovering near 200 degrees and the temp sometimes is 180-190. Outside temp has been in the low 60's

Thought I read somewhere there shouldn't be over 15* difference on a steady pace?

junglejoe

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, AND hoping too. Most of the time around town the coolant temp is at around 170ish

junglejoe

Reaction score
I got a thermostat for the truck, haven't put it in yet, to busy and tired after work... BUT.. I looked in the d-gas bottle, there is lumps of oil! Not a whole lot, but you can clearly see it! Now, I do know that the previous owned had ford put a new oil cooler on it. Is it possible they just didn't flush it out good?

With that being said... IF I need to do the oid cooler, and of course the the egr delete... whats the average price for this to have it done? Not sure I want to attempt this. I have built motors and Harley motors.. but I know nothing about the diesel world.

Last edited:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Found a local shop about 20 miles from me.. CHIT the price they want to do this. Went out in the garage and looked at my tools.. HMMMM!

I'll try the thermostat this weekend first though. Because driving down the interstate the coolant temp is only 175ish. BUT, shouldn't the oil be that cool too? Told the dude on the phone what it was doing, he was quick to say " yep, it definitely needs an oil cooler"

Last edited:

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
If you having any mechanical knowledge above the average you can get it done in a weekend easily.. I personally was too scared and had someone do it but I watched most of it done and cried at the fact that I didn't just buck up and do it myself...

Irontx

Reaction score
Found a local shop about 20 miles from me.. CHIT the price they want to do this. Went out in the garage and looked at my tools.. HMMMM!

I'll try the thermostat this weekend first though. Because driving down the interstate the coolant temp is only 175ish. BUT, shouldn't the oil be that cool too? Told the dude on the phone what it was doing, he was quick to say " yep, it definitely needs an oil cooler"

So what.... just completely discounts the fact that your truck never reaches operating temperature? !?!?!? The oil is still holding the perfect temp. Is it climbing into the 240+ range?!?#? That's when I know I have a clogged one. LOL LOL ect sits at about 215 and eot get close to 250... :doh:

junglejoe

Reaction score
So what.... just completely discounts the fact that your truck never reaches operating temperature? !?!?!? The oil is still holding the perfect temp. Is it climbing into the 240+ range?!?#? That's when I know I have a clogged one. LOL LOL ect sits at about 215 and eot get close to 250... :doh:

Oh no Irontx... I read you loud and clear! The thing is the oil clumps I see in the D-gas bottle. I'm DEFINATELY doing the thermostat and flushing the coolant system FIRST! It could be that ford never flushed the coolant when they done the cooler for the previous owner.. which wasn't very many miles ago. So thermostat and flush first!
Oil has NEVER even reached 215 I don't believe.

I bought the truck this winter, so now it's getting warm out side, kinda alarming seeing that oil that warm. BUT now I understand that's normal. Appreciate the info!

Last edited:

Irontx

Reaction score
Oh no Irontx... I read you loud and clear! The thing is the oil clumps I see in the D-gas bottle. I'm DEFINATELY doing the thermostat and flushing the coolant system FIRST! It could be that ford never flushed the coolant when they done the cooler for the previous owner.. which wasn't very many miles ago. So thermostat and flush first!
Oil has NEVER even reached 215 I don't believe.

I bought the truck this winter, so now it's getting warm out side, kinda alarming seeing that oil that warm. BUT now I understand that's normal. Appreciate the info!

I hear ya man. Emulsified oil is never a good thing. They could have done the quicko flush and left a bunch in there.

junglejoe

Reaction score
GatorbaitR6 the stealerships are the last place I go to. Nothing but thieves! It amazes me the chit they get by with.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
Yup I found me a good shop in CT and besides Brian at BTS they are the only ones to touch my truck since I've had her... Now the only problem is I got sent to VA... :bs:

junglejoe

Reaction score
Couple shots of inside the dgas bottle

Attachments

• 20150313_080525.jpg
    20150313_080525.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150313_080543.jpg
    20150313_080543.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 67

Lyrch

Reaction score
My temps got out of range last year. I got the all the parts from Absolute performance, it was around 800 for oil cooler, egr delete, and coolant filter. I did all the work in one weekend. It wasn't that bad of a job. I haven't had any problems since I did the work.

Latest posts

Members online