Ok **** this truck

DHFF

Reaction score
Been running great for about 500 miles after total rebuild with only a P006a code until today. Driving normal up to a light and take off and it struggles to build boost up to 15psi and EGTs skyrocket to 1200 out of no where. I let out of it because i see that and notice its not building enough speed to shift. It finally shifts but i have to feather the pedal to get up to speed. Anything over 1/4 throttle makes egts soar. Wtf?!?!? It only has an FICM tune on it and its ran fin till this evening. It almost sounds like its struggling to get air and feels horribly sluggish. Other than that it idles fine without issue.

Codes are

P006a
P0102
P0275
P0500
P0683
P1000
P1378

Holy crap from 1 code to this in 10 minutes!?!?!? I just spent 13k on this thing and its not going back to the dealer. Any ideas? There isnt a boost leak because i got it up to 20 psi at one point coming home but it was a long stressful drive.....

DHFF

Reaction score
Well, egr delete, studs, blue spring, coolant filter, gauges, the basics....

Im stumped and just at my end with this goddamn thing

ghohouston

Reaction score
not sure what the codes you listed are off the top of my head, but you can start by checking basic things like cleanliness of your air filter, making sure your map sensor hose is good and tight on both the sensor and intake manifold nipple, and that it isnt cracked. check for boost leaks( cac boots dont have holes in them/ they havent blown off etc). just look around for things that may be loose/out of place. and figure out what those codes are. they WILL lead you in the right direction

i had a member near me who had done an egr delete on his 6.0 and could not figure out why it wasnt building boost. i went and looked at it, everything checked out. then he mentioned replacing that line, and it was way to big to seal properly.

DHFF

Reaction score
not sure what the codes you listed are off the top of my head, but you can start by checking basic things like cleanliness of your air filter, making sure your map sensor hose is good and tight on both the sensor and intake manifold nipple, and that it isnt cracked. check for boost leaks( cac boots dont have holes in them/ they havent blown off etc). just look around for things that may be loose/out of place. and figure out what those codes are. they WILL lead you in the right direction

i had a member near me who had done an egr delete on his 6.0 and could not figure out why it wasnt building boost. i went and looked at it, everything checked out. then he mentioned replacing that line, and it was way to big to seal properly.

Ive been reading about the map sensor, since ive been troubleshooting vac leaks the last 2 days i wonder if i knocked something loose over on that side? I cant imagine it running great then just BAM, pile of gsrbage....

dieselmac

Reaction score
Those are sensor, injector, and FICM codes. I'd start by looking for a chafed wire or a loose connection. Make sure the FICM connectors are firmly plugged in and give all the wire harnesses a thorough inspection.

Might want to return your FICM tune back to stock and see if the symptoms persist.

DHFF

Reaction score
Ok checking all that now. I cant imagine it doing this out of the blue driving down the road? Maybe something just came unplugged. I hope

DHFF

Reaction score
I failed to mention that since I got it back it has been throwing the P006A code all the time which is a mass or volume air flow correlation - MAP.

Its still throwing that code as well as the other that seem to be air flow related.

I had to drive the truck to work this morning because I don't have a spare anymore but I kept it slow and cool. It feels like the truck is just choked off from air. Very sluggish. I also noticed if I just mat the pedal and let it build heat it gets up to about 1100* and then shoots air back into what sounds like the CAI and filter. Same sort of sound it makes when you let out of the pedal after building big boost. I am going to get on ALLDATA tonight and run through all the pinpoint tests for each code, but it sure would be nice to have some idea before I start. Im sure someone has dealt with a similar issue before.

I also did get it to build normal boost up above 30 psi but it still felt sluggish and was at 1100* when I got it there so it doesnt seem to be a boost leak.

MDUB707, get in here and help me out!

Thanks fellas.

04stroker

Reaction score
I have had this happen before with the same map sensor correlation code or whatever that is. If you have a scan tool check map,Ebp, and baro pids key on engine off. Make sure they are all reading 0 or atmospheric pressure. If that checks out pull the Ebp sensor out and check and clean the Ebp tube and sensor.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Sounds like the MAP sensor. The frequency(hz) change depending on boost. I would check the hose then see what frequency the sensor is at atmospheric as well as under operation. Compare your readings with what the readings should be.
Imo I would install a new MAP sensor especially if you can't find anything wrong and the fact that you have had the code supporting a MAP sensor failure.

DHFF

Reaction score
I thought the 03 didnt have an EBP sensor?

and I REALLY hope you are right on this one lethal god this truck has been a nightmare.... I am at work now so I actually have time to go pop the hood and take it off......haha!

ghohouston

Reaction score
I thought the 03 didnt have an EBP sensor?

and I REALLY hope you are right on this one lethal god this truck has been a nightmare.... I am at work now so I actually have time to go pop the hood and take it off......haha!

All 6.0's physically had them, but like stated, strategy dictated whether or not they were used.

Lassie

Reaction score
You have FICM, GPCM, and lots of electronic related codes. I would check grounds first, especially if engine was recently rebuilt. And all connections to PCM.

DHFF

Reaction score
I checked grounds to the FICM and PCM are both all plugged in correctly. What other grounds are there to check?

Latest posts

Members online