Old project revived - 1997 PSD slipping into a 1986 dress?!

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Alright guys, I thought I'd post some info and possibly pics on a build I am putting together in what little bit of free time I have...:eek:wned:

As some of you may or may not remember from PSN -
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1539980#post1539980

I acquired a 1997 PSD a while back. It was put on back burner for a bit but its back in the garage and is being dismembered slowly but surely.

The updates from the PSN thread are as follows:
I recieved a set of stage two rosewoods and installed them.
Tranny was flushed.
GPs and GPR.
6637 mod
Hutch/Harpoon mod.
Been gathering some misc pieces to restore trashed interior.
Considering sunroof of some sort while I have the cab top off?
powerstroke.jpg

Picked up a great looking 1986 F-350 for some goodies!
---And a few other parts that don't exactly belong on a 92-97 :pimp:
The 86 will be donating its suspension (D60 axle, new 6"suspension lift,etc...) its bed, and its front clip. Yep, its all going on the 97. Picked this truck up from the owner that was having me do some repair work on it - couldn't afford to finish it so I gave him a little bank and took the truck off his hands!:D Shortly thereafter I sold the freakin wicked 658hp 460ci BBF in it for pretty much the cost for the entire truck. (1050 Demon Carb! Who needs this?:eek:)
brandonstruck.jpg

brandonstruck2.jpg

So, anybody know where I can find a 80-86 diesel rad support???
Also, any suggestions on the suroof or just give it up?
Also throwing in a pic or two of a few of my "other" builds Ive been gettin finished up since my PSN post...

77 F-150 Ranger
brandonstruck3.jpg

The missus' TJ
Before
tj1.jpg

After
tj.jpg

Anybody actually do an 80's on 90's clip conversion? It seems all i will need is a few slight modifications to mounting holes and a rad support for an 80-86 diesel F-series? Am i correct in this assumption?

Oh, and heres a 6637 pic for the archives lol :fordoval:
kass.png

chromehound

Reaction score
If you do put a sunroof in use tons of sealer. Did one in my '86 Bronco-origonal one leaked like crazy and was 12"x12" installed by the PO- I did the second it was 18"x24" IIRC and my buddies and I slipped some cut down 2x4s between the inner and outer shell then filled in the gap with expanda foam, let it dry, shaved it down and installed the sunroof using a full tube of sealer inside and another on the outside. The foam may not have been the best idea since it seemed that the roof bulged out slightly-we did this in the middle of summer so the heat didn't help. My advice is if you really want one pay to have it done and hold onto the glass if you decide to take it out going down the road.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
I am doing a similar swap but putting a 95 Powerstroke, 5speed,dana 60 into my 86. But my 86 is already a diesel. Good luck finding a GOOD usable diesel rad support
DSC00539.jpg

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Yea I dunno about that sunroof. Seems from what i'm finding it might be more of a hassle than anything. Might practice on another not so nice cab first to make some templates and test fit. As for the radiator support - I've scavenged all three local yards and got nothing:lame: Word has it theres an 86 diesel powered ambulance in PA I might go check out this week. Wont get my hopes up though, the only one I've found so far was trash. Damn sharp truck Brad - I love the two-tone.:thumbsup: And thanks BB13, but your only saying that because you can't see how bad I ran the rear drives side of the stepside LOL... flared bedsides are a painters nightmare especially without proper lighting. I'll fix it one of these days... maybe! :poke:

f-150_xl

Reaction score
I ordered my first one from dieselfiltersonline.com for around $45 i think then I found out my local carquest had em on sale for $25.95 +tax so i picked up a few more.

Last edited:

Neal 97 250

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. I am sure it will turn out nice.

BTW I have almost all of the interior trim pieces from a standard cab '97 grey interior. Do you want any of it ?

f-150_xl

Reaction score
BTW I have almost all of the interior trim pieces from a standard cab '97 grey interior. Do you want any of it ?

I can usually find most of what I need here at the local salvage yards but I will definately hit you up if I run into somethin I need and can't find! Thanks!

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Ok a few more leads on a rad support turned flop so thats still a no go. Did some tuning on a friends truck and fixed my mechanics truck - pretty funny story LOL. just came off a long week at work and ready to tear it up this weekend. on the agenda this weekend is the cab and potentially some body prep... may get some pics up if I can get the woman movin :thumbsup:

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Thanks! Feel free to stop in sometime on the weekends. Can never have too many diesel guys in my garage :thumbsup:

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I dont make it up there as much as Id like to or use to. When I do its to hunt WV or ride atv's. And the police don't appreciate ridding atv's in from WV :cursing:. But we are always running into Oakland for something when we are there (usually Walmart)

f-150_xl

Reaction score
And the police don't appreciate ridding atv's in from WV :cursing:.

Yea you oughta see how they act when the convoy of topless/doorless jeeps come through town leavin a trail of mud on the weekends. They're so predictable - everytime we pass through they stop, whip it around and follow all of us just hoping someone screws up LOL

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Yeah I can only imagine what they can be like beings it dosnt seem like theres to many on duty at once, the most we ever saw in one place was a DUI check there were like 30 or 40 of them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.