one piece rear DL.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
using this sites calculator, http://completeoffroad.com/p-3351-rpm-tire-height-calculator-page.html the one for a specific transmission ratio, your 3.73 gears, with a 36.5 tire, in the .71 gear ratio in 5 gear, going 110 mph put your engine rpm's at 2682.

that 2682/.71=3771

92 mph puts you at 2243/.71=3159

so i would say as long as you don't break 92mph, your good to go, and his driveshaft will be balanced just fine.

though, that would give you a excuse to tell the wife you need larger tires, to bring the drive shaft speed down a little bit so you can go faster.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
using this sites calculator, http://completeoffroad.com/p-3351-rpm-tire-height-calculator-page.html the one for a specific transmission ratio, your 3.73 gears, with a 36.5 tire, in the .71 gear ratio in 5 gear, going 110 mph put your engine rpm's at 2682.

that 2682/.71=3771

92 mph puts you at 2243/.71=3159

so i would say as long as you don't break 92mph, your good to go, and his driveshaft will be balanced just fine.

though, that would give you a excuse to tell the wife you need larger tires, to bring the drive shaft speed down a little bit so you can go faster.

haha!
That right there is the info i was looking for. I dont usually go that fast but if i ever did ide feel really bad knowing there is a vibration going on down there that would be real hard on the T case and rear end.. Let alone if it broke.. Maybe i need to try a different shop?

Demon

Reaction score
Go quote another shop. as long as the workmanship is good. The shaft should be fine. You are not the first guy to get a driveshaft made for a pickup, 50 millionth maybe. Don't over think it, you're not reinventing the wheel.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Demon

Reaction score
I agree, shouldn't be difficult but the guy specifically said it'll vibrate above 3200 rpm. You spend me time there then you think

No buddy didn't say it would vibrate if taken above 3200rpm. He said he would not guarantee it above 3200. Doesn't mean squat, it might never vibrate, ever. It's his OUT of the warranty. Scabby if you ask me. Go somewhere else. As with anything, Not all driveline shops are created equal.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Demon - The quote from the op was "maximum speed before it started to vibrate" if you read it... Not "I only guarantee it to.." Not arguing just reading exactly what he said...

Either way, walk away from that shop and look else where. Like Erik said, he has a BEAST of a truck that will put down almost 1k hp and do 130 mph. You can find the right guys

AllanB

Reaction score
http://www.jacksonpowertrain.com/
You can got to their site and check them out. They build drivelines for race cars, rock climbers, mud boggers, monster trucks. All sorts of things. On their site there is info on how to measure for your drive shaft correctly.

Last edited:

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. On a side note the shop i spoke with does a lot of work on my semi trucks for me and there good guys. I told him what i needed and he ran some numbers and toild me what the maximum shaft speed would be. Im just happy he didnt say sure and slap one together for me that didnt work. Ill keep shopping around. Does anyone here think aluminum would be a better choice over steel that i should shoot for?

Demon

Reaction score
Why not use 5" tube. Thats what mine is. Works great.

Last edited:

Demon

Reaction score
Lovin- ah no I didn't read it. Your right though that's what it reads.

Either way, I stand by saying go somewhere else.

Demon

Reaction score
Ah could be that, I don't know. I've got 1480 joints.

But I've seen 5" aluminum rear shafts with regular sized joints. So I'm sure it works that way at least.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I spoke to Tom Woods and they cant do any better then the 4" steel shaft with a maximum shaft speed in that 3200 RPM range. He also said i should run a double cardian joint at the T case end wich would only be as big as a 1350 joint. I dont like the sound of that so much.. Are you guys running a single or double joint?

I also spoke to DYNOTECH ENGINEERING and he told me he can build me a carbon fiber shaft with steel ends and 1410 joints with a maximum shaft speed of between 5600 and 6000 RPM. This sounds like the way to go to me. Any thought fellas?
Thank you!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I spoke to Tom Woods and they cant do any better then the 4" steel shaft with a maximum shaft speed in that 3200 RPM range. He also said i should run a double cardian joint at the T case end wich would only be as big as a 1350 joint. I dont like the sound of that so much.. Are you guys running a single or double joint?

I also spoke to DYNOTECH ENGINEERING and he told me he can build me a carbon fiber shaft with steel ends and 1410 joints with a maximum shaft speed of between 5600 and 6000 RPM. This sounds like the way to go to me. Any thought fellas?
Thank you!

Price difference? If money is driving the train, then the 4 inch steel sounds like the right move... But I believe that the carbon setup is likely to be the better choice...

blk350on20s

Reaction score
What Corb said. Carbon fiber but theres plenty of us out there running a 4" steel. No issues to report.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Seems to be about 500 ish bux for the steel and 1400 ish for the carbon fiber shaft. I'm leaning towards the carbon fiber shaft. Just wanted your opinions before I ordered. Wasn't sure of the strength of the carbon fiber.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
does he give a "up to this hp/tq" rating on them as well??

also something to think about.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
That's a very good question. I'll make sure and ask before I order tomorrow. Thanks!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
does he give a "up to this hp/tq" rating on them as well??

also something to think about.

That's a very good question. I'll make sure and ask before I order tomorrow. Thanks!

Def elaborate on the Torque... HP is one thing, 1,000 + Foot pounds, pushing an 8500 pound rig is another... Ensure that your builder understands this... LOL

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back as to whether or not the carbon fiber will be strong enough.

Latest posts

Members online