ordering a pmax. what simple mods to do?

chowy12

Reaction score
I am looking into ordering a Power Max what simple mods could I do?? I'm going to end up installing some 175/30.. and running a SCT all on stock tranny.. I only want enough power without tearing the tranny for now. Any suggestions??

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Modded direct drive solenoid for your trans to stay alive with the added power. I've got one on the shel needing a home. $150 to your door

Work&play

Reaction score
I would add the MTW billet wheel to the powermax.
It made a very nice improvement to mine.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
We can get you setup with a tune for that combo if you don't already have one. Feel free to contact me if you are interested and I will get you setup.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
I'm not going to try to sell you anything but I will suggest the regulated return and some really good tuning. An S&B intake is an excellent compliment as well if you don't already have one. You might consider upgrading the intercooler/turbo boots as well from Riff Raff. They're excellent boots and hold very well with higher pressures.

loboost

Reaction score
As stated...

A modified solenoid...I run Steve's as well. Great unit.

A regulated return....I built my own...but the strictly diesel kit rocks...

Aftermarket intake...afe, s&b, or a 'custom' from matt @ cutting edge.

Upgraded boots won't hurt...but aren't necessary right away. As stated, riff raff..

A ccv delete it reroute would help in keeping oil residue out of the boots & saturating them.

chowy12

Reaction score
I'm not going to try to sell you anything but I will suggest the regulated return and some really good tuning. An S&B intake is an excellent compliment as well if you don't already have one. You might consider upgrading the intercooler/turbo boots as well from Riff Raff. They're excellent boots and hold very well with higher pressures.

good advice!! im going to look into the s&b for sure and the riff raffs

chowy12

Reaction score
As stated...

A modified solenoid...I run Steve's as well. Great unit.

A regulated return....I built my own...but the strictly diesel kit rocks...

Aftermarket intake...afe, s&b, or a 'custom' from matt @ cutting edge.

Upgraded boots won't hurt...but aren't necessary right away. As stated, riff raff..

A ccv delete it reroute would help in keeping oil residue out of the boots & saturating them.

thanks!!!

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't touch the DD solenoid but that's my opinion based solely off discussions I've had with transmission builders. Others will disagree but that's fine.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't touch the DD solenoid but that's my opinion based solely off discussions I've had with transmission builders. Others will disagree but that's fine.

I know what trans builder you are referring to, I've heard the same fallacies. My solenoid hands down works and that can't be refuted or challenged. I've made believers out of even the biggest of doubters ;)

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
Well depending on what you builder you're referring to, this one referenced specifically built transmissions with the added clutches in the direct drive clutch assembly and not recommending the dd solenoid in regards to the outcome of that solenoid coupled with more clutches has created a bad outcome. Just preference I guess. There's also a member up here in Alaska who had his transmission built buy a company here in Anchorage and would not warranty the transmission with the aftermarket solenoids installed. I'd venture to say there's a reason but really, I can only speculate.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Well depending on what you builder you're referring to, this one referenced specifically built transmissions with the added clutches in the direct drive clutch assembly and not recommending the dd solenoid in regards to the outcome of that solenoid coupled with more clutches has created a bad outcome. Just preference I guess. There's also a member up here in Alaska who had his transmission built buy a company here in Anchorage and would not warranty the transmission with the aftermarket solenoids installed. I'd venture to say there's a reason but really, I can only speculate.

Yuuuup, Builder error would be where I'd suggest you start digging. The modded solenoid has been around for years. I can think on one hand out of the thousands sold of those who didn't see a positive gain instantly. 1 was a 6.4 and the other had received a faulty solenoid, he was shipped a replacement free of charge over night at my expense, but opted not to run the solenoid after all as he was going to sell his truck for a newer model. Sad to say but you may be pointing fingers at the wrong people here. Remember, jasper transmissions builds a 4r just like BTS. One is better then the other, and it usually stems from knowledge. As well, like I mentioned earlier, I've heard the same stories from the same two shops. Both of which are competitors and both of which build transmissions. I can't stop others from spreading rumors, nor would I care to devote that type of energy to doing so. What I can do, and what I do, is offer customers field tested and proven products to help them reach their goals and leave them feeling satisfied with their purchase at the end of the day. My modded solenoid does just that and is a very popular mod among 5r110 owners. So if you ever decide you want to find out first hand what a solenoid can do for your setup, and put those nasty rumors to rest, feel free to give me a shout. I'd be glad to set you up!

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
I'll just take your word for it. I'll stick the with added clutches and the excellent tuning I receive and I'll accept your word on your solenoid. I'm not calling you a liar but I'm just not interested in the solenoid. Sure $150 isn't anything to throw down on a single part after you spent the money on all the transmission goodies I have but then again with all the transmission goodies I do have including tuning, if still need that $150 part for that "added performance", I'm going to be disappointed in all those other goodies I have previously purchased.

Latest posts