over heating for dummies

factorydefect

Reaction score
i have a 2000 f350 . i had a rebuilt engine installed about 5 months ago. well i was going down the road and the temp gauge jumped up and than went down. i noticed the smell of coolant so i stopped. the radiator had a crack init at the top by the hose.i replaced the radiator and the thermostat and filled the system back up with water. when i started the truck up it was pushing the coolant out of the tank and than alot of bubbles. i let the truck thinking it was going to work the air out but the level stayed the same and i never had to add any more water.the temp inside got a little under half way but the hoses and water in tank was cold so i shut it down. i'm thinking water pump but i'm open to any advice

dave186

Reaction score
Sounds like you still have air in it. I use a vac filler to avoid this but it will eventually work out on the 7.3

Tom S

Reaction score
I agree that sounds like when they have air in them or worst case senario a bad head gasket.

factorydefect

Reaction score
well i got home today and the coolant had dropped so i filled it back up and started the truck. after about 10 min the temp started coming up on the dash and the hoses got tight. the temp was raising faster than normal espically since its a little cold outside. i have taken the water pump off and am about to replace it . i can see where 2 of the fins have hit the shroud a little but not major . we'll see if this does anything.and what is the best way to bleed air out of the system.

Tom S

Reaction score
My method I use on quite a few vehicle is to pull off a hose that lets the air out of the high point of the block. That varies from on the application.

Arisley

Reaction score
I have actually pulled the thermostat and fillied the block up almost to the thermostat before. Sometimes, if the thermostat is not sitting almost in the coolant, they get stubborn.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Old school trick it to put an Asprin in the thermostat to hold it open to help bleed the air off, it dissolves when full.

An Air Lift is by far the best tool for refilling cooling systems, or when you need to get air out of anything else, E.g power steering, brakes, clutch, etc.

dietoremain

Reaction score
When I changed my WP we had a huge air pocket in the system.. we drove the crap outta it and kept filling it up, lol!

factorydefect

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.i put the new water pump on and filled the system up to the thermo. than installed it and filled the rest of the way up.i let it run for about twenty min in driveway and it got up to a little under half way on the gauge and stayed.im not sure if its right yet but its not over heating. it does seem to get up to temp alot faster than before but im goin to keep driving it and checking the levels in my tank.

factorydefect

Reaction score
ok a little update . the truck seemed to run good when i went to town. i took some water in a jug just in case an air pocket worked its way out. well i checked tank and it was a little low so i filled it back up and than drove home ( 20 miles)and checked it at the house.it was still full. this morning i went to corner store (1/4 mile) and when i pulled up and it was pouring water out of cap.i can back home and removed the thermo and there was a little air that came out. i took the thermo out and put everything back together and filled it up. i took it down the road and the water level seems to be holding and the truck is at 1/3 temp with out the thermo in it. i am still concerned that i have bigger issues but i am needing some advice of what to look at and do next.

Latest posts

Members online