Oversized Valves

timj

Reaction score
Who's running them? Worth the cost on a big build? Mountain High Performance is one source who sells them but out of stock.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
There is no point in them on most applications. Bore is a big restriction with the valve sizing, as well as overall head flow. 99% of most people wont need them.

I have Rev Titanium Valves in mine.

timj

Reaction score
Heads are at machine shop for head oringing as well as hardened seats on ex side. Only reason why I started thinking of going bigger. Kinda like the boob job theory... might as well go as big as you can get away with while your there lol

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Heads are at machine shop for head oringing as well as hardened seats on ex side. Only reason why I started thinking of going bigger. Kinda like the boob job theory... might as well go as big as you can get away with while your there lol

On a stock bore motor, you will actually create MORE turbulence and shroud the valves with the cylinder wall. You wont gain anything from it.

Leave well enough alone !

madman1234509

Reaction score
Listen to Jared. Not worth the time or money. You can make the size of the valve as big as you want. If the head can only flow x amount, that's all it will do no matter if you put in a bigger valve, or take it out completely.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
If you're porting the heads and looking to gain flow out of them, I've seen the benefit of the bigger valves even on a stock bottom end.

Not on this application. If you dont believe me. Call Elite & Wagler. They've done ALL the testing to back this up. Now you bump the displacement and bore it .020 or .030 over.. Different story

timj

Reaction score
Haha yup Patrick! Maybe I should call up Jared right now and order up some .020 over pistons directly from him instead. I bet they would come before my stock bore IH pistons that I ordered 10 weeks ago tomorrow to date!!:cursing:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Funny that they have done all the testing to prove it is not beneficial and I never heard a peep about it. Elite is the one that sold them on me. Might have been done after mine was done, but makes me wonder. I didn't bother with them this time.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well.... It's funny how a lot of things get pushed on people that have no evidence of having benefit, just theory.... Our heads are complete junk, and even porting has its limitations due to the castings.

I feel my trucks great proof that other than the valve springs and push rods for the safety aspect, and the good port job on the heads, stock size valves, and stock cam are capable of 1000hp. And my turbo sizing isn't even all that crazy compared to the 91+ size turbos some guys run or plan on running.

timj

Reaction score
Well.... It's funny how a lot of things get pushed on people that have no evidence of having benefit, just theory.... Our heads are complete junk, and even porting has its limitations due to the castings.

I feel my trucks great proof that other than the valve springs and push rods for the safety aspect, and the good port job on the heads, stock size valves, and stock cam are capable of 1000hp. And my turbo sizing isn't even all that crazy compared to the 91+ size turbos some guys run or plan on running.

Well said!

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Funny that they have done all the testing to prove it is not beneficial and I never heard a peep about it. Elite is the one that sold them on me. Might have been done after mine was done, but makes me wonder. I didn't bother with them this time.

The reason we did valves on your's was for reliability under high egt's and pressures. The oe valves are a compromise on material. We just happened to stock the better valve in an oversized when it was time so that's what you got. A non-ported head does not benefit in flow from larger valves but they also don't lose flow. Never claimed it did. I have seen a gain in flow with a bigger valve on our cnc heads.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
So.... It wasn't specifically asked.... But it wasn't ever mentioned by you that there is no actual gain... Wonder how much extra $$ the oversized valves were over stock size, all because they were in stock and the benefit or lack there of wasn't specified.

So many people run stock valves in high hp trucks, so Idk if I'm totally sold on the whole material deal. Sure failures happen once in a while, just like everything else, but It doesn't seem like a common occurance. And sure there are better materials, but at what point is it worth it? A strictly competition only vehicle? No one else seems to be having valve issues, at least it's not ever, or vary rarely ever talked about...

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The oversized valve has no bearing on the cost when custom is involved, stock diameter is the same price, the gain was reliability. We've had oe valves tulip which led to an aftermarket valve. Can you skimp and get by, sure can, you can over build also. I've destroyed so many engines over the years I look at all options and give the customer the choice, but I prefer to over build if possible.

Jd had a valve chip, cost him a lot of money, piston, cracked head, block needed bored, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online