P191 code...AGAIN!

Spindrift

Reaction score
Two months ago I reported on a P191 and a P228F code. At that time, I had a couple of issues. One: with very little foot into the throttle, I felt a sudden engine RPM surge. It was a millisecond, almost like someone had just sprayed a little shot of starting fluid into my intake. Within a day, this progressed to engine RPMs dropping off to the point the truck stalled and wouldn't immediately restart. I changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and the fuel rail pressure regulator which are both found on the driver's side fuel rail.

Fast forward to this week. I'm beginning to experience that same millisecond surge at times. Truck hasn't died on me yet but while I had it hooked up to my Auto Enginuity scanning software last night, the engine started to run a little rough then cleared up. I took a screen shot of both the live data grid and the DTC screen. The P228F code that really seemed to kill the truck last time, hasn't come back...yet. What do you make of this? What direction should I go in next? 47K on the clock.

Attachments

• 6.7 live data grid.jpg
    6.7 live data grid.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 6.7 DTCs.jpg
    6.7 DTCs.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64

Dzchey21

Reaction score
IF it were me i would not take it to the dealer right off the bat

Looks to me like you need to replace the rail sensor, its external to the engine so it shouldnt be a huge deal to do. If the code still comes back then you need to look at the PCV valve which is in the left hand rail near the firewall. Or the VCV which is the pump.

I'm telling you from experience you need to check these on your own for rust. IF ford finds them to have rust on them they will void your whole warranty on the engine for something that might not be the problem at all. These you can do both yourself in your driveway with basic tools and a long T25 torx bit (if i remember right). These engines aren't nearly as difficult to work on.

Spindrift

Reaction score
By PCV, I'm assuming you're referring to the pressure regulator? I have changed both the pressure sensor and the pressure regulator almost four weeks ago. Problem went away then and now I have this pressure sensor code. It's the re-occurring nature of the fault that has me concerned/frustrated.
Thanks for the reply.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
so you changed the valve in the fuel rail?

I would move to the regulator in the pump next thats the VCV. Thats what went bad on my truck. I had high rail pressure codes and low pressure codes

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would do the one in the pump now. its like 125 bucks you have to pull the upper intake off and the egr tube. its pretty easy tho

Latest posts

Members online