P2291

fbilly420

Reaction score
Friends truck, started out running like crap. Changed fuel filters (very dirty) Truck ran great for 2 days. Calls me back with same symptoms. We replace hpfp truck runs great for a week. Calls me back truck wont start. Truck sat for about another week until i could get to it. I go to his house replace hfcm still no start. Tell him we will have to tow it to my house. 2 days later he had to move it from his driveway it started like it always had really fast no hesitation. Now it will not start at all. Only code it has had the entire time is P2291. I am ready to pull my hair out. I have tried bleeding from schreader valve and also from rear banjo on cooler with tool i made. I have bleed over 5 gallons out of this thing no air in fuel.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have had several trucks here recently that have hung injectors after a pump failure.

Can you monitor rail pressure? What is it cranking when it won't start?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Are you using auto e? Is the truck stock? Do you have access to a tuner to monitor fuel pressure ?

fbilly420

Reaction score
I'm using Matco determinator. Truck is tuned with mm it blacks out while cranking. Doent sound like it wants to start at all.

fbilly420

Reaction score
The mm resets when cranking. On my scan tool is has pid for pressure control valve and it only goes to 8 while cranking so I don't what exactly its reading.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
The mm resets when cranking. On my scan tool is has pid for pressure control valve and it only goes to 8 while cranking so I don't what exactly its reading.

Turn on the power switch on the obd block and the mini maxx should stay on.

fbilly420

Reaction score
That was easy enough. 10 seconds of cranking it reads 0.0 RP

Where to go from here? I followed all of the pin point tests in the PC/ED and got no where.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have a pretty strong feeling that it is the injectors.

Make sure you check the harness that runs to the pump is plugged in and not rubbed anywhere.

If your scan tool will allow control of the PCV or VCV you can crank the percent's up to make the pump command more fuel. I had one that wouldn't start and I commanded the pump and it fired up and ran fine.

fbilly420

Reaction score
I have tried commanding both up to 100% still did nothing. I think I am going to pull hpfp back out. I went through the PC/ED again this morning and from my tests it says replace pump. The oil level has not changed one bit the whole time on this has been going on. Would the oil level rise if it was injectors leaking? I think either the pcv or vcv is stuck. What are the odds of the new pump being bad. Reman from my local dealer. I replaced the gasket with harness when I did the pump too.

Last edited:

pdumont01

Reaction score
Did you zip tie the pcv and vcv connectors on? And also i assume you replaced the pump gasket? Was there metal coming out of old pump ? I have had a new pump be bad, or maybe the control valve but you can't get them separately so a other pump fixed it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

fbilly420

Reaction score
Yes I installed the large zip ties on both connectors. Yes also replaced gasket during install. I did not see any metal shavings at all I inspected that very carefully. I am getting correct ohm readings on PCV and CVC through the harness.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The oil level will rise if the injectors are hanging but mostly you will notice smoke or wet exhaust if you loosen the exhaust out the down pipe.

There is a good chance the PCV OR VCV failed... not common but it can happen and it would happen low hour for sure.

fbilly420

Reaction score
well the turbos are out and neither up pipe is wet at all. I will keep this updated as I progress with the pump.

pdumont01

Reaction score
They reman the pumps right or are they still new?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

fbilly420

Reaction score
Well new pump, new pump cover gasket, fuel system bleed out still has 0.0 FRP. I am ready to pull my hair out. I am going to pull glow plugs and see where we get with that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.