Painting Headlights

Jomax

Reaction score
Recently I've been shooting with a Devilbiss TEKNA ProLite 703566. At a certain point it comes down to personal preference. I have an Iwata and a few other Devilbiss guns but the TEKNA ProLite has been my favorite and most predictable gun so far!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So a HF special doesn't work? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
So a HF special doesn't work? Lol

Haha! I started my painting journey with an HF gun. Those were the days. I mean it worked. Setting the perfect adjustment and getting proper atomisation was pretty difficult with those HF guns though.

After enough frustration with the HF guns, I moved to an older hand me down Devilbiss from a friend's dad. After that I knew I was serious about paint and having a quality finish was becoming more important.

I swear I'll paint just about anything with an HVLP. I've done kitchen cabinets to show cars. A good HVLP will do just about anything you want!

Jomax

Reaction score
Haha! I started my painting journey with an HF gun. Those were the days. I mean it worked. Setting the perfect adjustment and getting proper atomisation was pretty difficult with those HF guns though.

After enough frustration with the HF guns, I moved to an older hand me down Devilbiss from a friend's dad. After that I knew I was serious about paint and having a quality finish was becoming more important.

I swear I'll paint just about anything with an HVLP. I've done kitchen cabinets to show cars. A good HVLP will do just about anything you want!

What do you clean it with afterwards? Acetone?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
What do you clean it with afterwards? Acetone?

I always keep a couple of gallons of general or multi purpose cleaning solvent, usually cheaper than acetone. Acetone is considered one of the stronger solvents and is usually overkill unless you don't regularly clean your gun and need to do some heavy cleaning. Though I still think there are better alternatives.

Pretty sure the main ingredient in general or multi purpose solvents is Toluene. Although they are really just a cocktail of chemicals to keep costs down while remaining effective while cleaning.

Paint thinner or reducer works well too and isn't considered too harsh. I think it's way too expensive for cleaning though. A gallon of PPG reducer will run between $60-90 depending on where you buy and what type you go with. Reducer is used for thinning paint, not cleaning guns, but will work in a pinch if you don't have anything else.

I think I most often use Omni MS251 and Omni MS151 for cleaning, if you were interested in specifics. Usually runs between $11-19 per gallon.

Latest posts

Members online