Passenger side bank dead, help...

Big Calo

Reaction score
First the backstory:

About a month or so ago, the batteries in my 1999 died on me on a Friday night while I was getting ready to go to a job. The truck never died from the low batteries, the lights just got real dim. I made it to Walmart, and got new batteries, cleaned the terminals, and installed them. Truck fired and ran like a champ that night, on the 2 hour drive to the jobsite and back. Parked the truck Saturday evening, and did not drive it all day Sunday. Get in the truck Monday morning, and batteries are dead. Just thought it was a bad connection or something, and needed to reclean the terminals. Jumped it off, and the truck ran fine on the way to work, get there and it was idling while I was unloading the trailer and it died, batteries dead, can't even get a click out of it. Thought the altenator was toast, so I put the battery charger on it and another alternator, charged the batteries for a couple hours. Before I left for work, I started the truck, and it busted off ran like a top, but the alternator was heating up quick, so I turned it off and just left it there overnight on trickle charge, so the alternator didn't burn up. Come in Tuesday morning, start it to move it, and it is romping and clacking very bad, and barely has enough power to move itself to unhook the trailer, which brings us to the present...

So the truck sat for about a month or so, blame it on work, life, procrastination, or whatever other excuse, and I finally got me AE ordered (Thanks POWER-STRUCK), and hooked it up. Pulled P1298 (IDM Failure), and P1293 (High Side Open No. 1, Passenger side). Researched those out, and everything pointed to passenger side UVCH. Thought great got it pegged. After I removed the UVCH that was on there, I cranked the truck, and ran just like it had been so again, thought this is it. The plug was not burnt looking at all. Hooked the other harness up (Not 100% verified good, came off my brothers truck when he thought his were bad, and it did not fix his issues, so I assumed it was good. Will get a new one if need be to be sure.) Cranked the truck, and same thing, still had the valve cover off, so checked the injectors, and no oil is coming out at all, not even a drip that I can see. Was going to hook AE up again, but my laptop battery died.

I will say that AE offers so much info it's crazy, and if there is something else I need to check on it just tell me and I'll try to hook it up tonight. It was an overnight issue that popped up, and that was probably the main reason it has sat is because I was so pissed that it happened with no warning, at the time it did, but now I've got info to deal with, so I'm back on the trail.

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
run a injector click test with your ae. if none of them click you probly have an idm going bad. if one bank is dead probley harness, there is still the possibility the idm could but if its just one bank probley the uvch. i would get your battery and charging problems figured out first because if the idm is not getting the right amount of voltage it can't send it to the injectors.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I have had an idm drop out just one bank before. You should ohm out the wiring from the idm plug first. If that looks good then replace the idm.

Big Calo

Reaction score
run a injector click test with your ae. if none of them click you probly have an idm going bad. if one bank is dead probley harness, there is still the possibility the idm could but if its just one bank probley the uvch. i would get your battery and charging problems figured out first because if the idm is not getting the right amount of voltage it can't send it to the injectors.

I assume you are talking about a buzz test? I did run one, and all buzzed, but the passenger bank was way weaker. I robbed the batteries out of it for a different truck a couple weeks ago, but put new ones in a couple days ago, and they seem to be holding a charge, but I'm going start running grounds down too.

I have had an idm drop out just one bank before. You should ohm out the wiring from the idm plug first. If that looks good then replace the idm.

So just undo the harness from the IDM and check all the wires? I have never had to do that before.

MSTR-P

Reaction score
Sounds like your IDM is gone. Just went through the same crap with mine. Got under the valve cover, reconnected everything, ran the ohms test on the odd injectors, all checked out, and finally had to replace the IDM. Truck runs great now!

neverkickn

Reaction score
So just undo the harness from the IDM and check all the wires? I have never had to do that before.

Yes, there is a diagram floating around here somewhere. Search for idm Pinout. Testing from the plug allows you to check the entire injector circuit solenoid and all. If it ohms out good and you have a whole bank down then you need a new idm.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Yes, there is a diagram floating around here somewhere. Search for idm Pinout. Testing from the plug allows you to check the entire injector circuit solenoid and all. If it ohms out good and you have a whole bank down then you need a new idm.

Thanks, I'll try to get that done tomorrow. Could a bad IDM also be causing the power drain?

Big Calo

Reaction score
Yes, there is a diagram floating around here somewhere. Search for idm Pinout. Testing from the plug allows you to check the entire injector circuit

Ok, found a IDM pin out, but I can't get the picture to post. I need to put a lead on the corresponding feed pin, then ohm out each injector from there?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
sorry that I just now noticed the thread. looks like these guys have you headed in the right direction. if you need any help just PM me and I will respond asap

Big Calo

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that it was the IDM! Woo-hoo! Thanks so much guys! Started up and it ran like a top. Got all the VC bolts tightened back down before I ran out of daylight, so tomorrow evening after work I hope to get it all back together.

So now confession time. Apparently I slept thru every multimeter class except for the on where you check voltage. So when I was talking like I knew how to Ohm out a wire, I was banking on Google helping me out, but apparently to no avail.

py3e9e7a.jpg

I had it set just like this. I could touch the leads together, and it would beep and go down to zero. But when I would put the leads on the injector feed pin, then try to ohm out the circuits, I would get nothing. I don't know what I was doing wrong? I messed with it for probably 30 minutes and didn't get anywhere. I even tried the IDM, but I don't think it would have worked anyway.

But its running right for now, and thats what matters right now. Thanks, again guys.

Latest posts

Members online