PCM problems?

Clifford6.4L

Reaction score
I just had both my alternators and batteries replaced in February on my 08 F-250. A few days ago, my battery light started coming on and the instrument cluster would turn off and on. On Saturday night I was driving back from a wedding and everything stopped working. Instrument cluster, navigation, the interior lights, stereo, and the A/C. At one point my headlights stopped working too which was terrifying because it was midnight on a back road with rivers on each side of the road. We were out in the boonies. On Sunday I plugged in my DashDaq and saw that my batteries were putting out a constant 16-18 volts while driving and this was causing everything to shutoff as a way to protect themselves from the power surge. I took it into the shop this morning and they tested the alternators and they were fine. They reflashed the PCM but, it still was relaying to the alternators to increase the voltage. So, they told me I will need a new PCM which will run roughly $1400... Is this something I can do myself or does anyone know another possible fix? Also, does anyone know if there was a recall for the PCMs? Thanks in advance!!!

boggerr

Reaction score
Had pretty much same problem. Check the plugs going into the Alt. Had a wire chaffed right at the plug and pretty much had the same symptoms as you

Clifford6.4L

Reaction score
Had pretty much same problem. Check the plugs going into the Alt. Had a wire chaffed right at the plug and pretty much had the same symptoms as you
Thank you! I really appreciate your response! I will ask the shop that it's at if there are any signs of this!

Clifford6.4L

Reaction score
You, Sir, saved me $1400! If you are ever in the Bay Area in California let me know and I will buy you whatever beer you want and a steak dinner!

Clifford6.4L

Reaction score
Yup! It wasn't secured into the plug so, it was half plugged in and half not... I hate electrical systems on anything haha.

Latest posts

Members online