PHP Gryphon users, check in here

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd be interested in getting a thread going of who is using which ECM tunes, matched with different FICM tunes and hear how you like it and which one's you like together etc. What combos do you use for daily driving? Towing? Race track? I just got my gryphon last week so I've only been able to try one tune with it. Currently running GoGo race tune with stock lock up. (Need to get my Innovative tunes off of my hard drive!) and started off with the atlas 40 tune. I like it a lot so far. Doesn't seem to be any extra smoke over just the ECM tune, but throttle response is improved. I see the most difference when the truck shifts into overdrive and the converter locks. Slight throttle inputs get the truck moving in a hurry. It also seems to pull up hills better when it lugs down a bit. Seems more "effortless." I will be trying the atlas 80 and the hercules in the weeks to come.

What's everyone else using?

Also for that matter, where is everyone mounting their gryphon. I love that I can watch EOT and ECT easy as pie now. :redspotdance:

05wh250

Reaction score
I'm running ficm +40 and loved it with stock injectors with innovatives street tune. I don't have the gryphon but I modified the mount on my insight and mounted it on top of the dash on the right side of the cluster

Mdub707

Reaction score
Oops, forgot to mention that, I'm on stock injectors and stock turbo for the time being as well. I'd imagine most of the guys running the FICM tunes are on stock injectors, but it will be interesting to see everyone's combo's. 05wh250, is that a PHP FICM tune?

DHFF

Reaction score
Mike can this tuner flash the FICM and then be taken off so that I can plug my ITSX back in? My SCT displays way more stuff and I'd rather use it and my mini Ipad as the display. I've only heard good stuff about the Gryphon but don't want to drop the cash if I have to leave it plugged in.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Jerid, you can flash the FICM and toss the gryphon in the glove box without issue. It only needs to stay plugged in to use as gauges. Pretty cool setup actually. Mildly painful to actually tune (must have been spoiled with the quick SCT tuning). SCT must go back to stock, then pull FICM relay under the hood, then flash the FICM tune on, which only takes about 5 minutes or so (probably even less actually), replace FICM relay, then flash the truck with the SCT to your desired tune again, and good to go. Just sucks that every time you want to change a FICM tune you have to put the SCT back to stock tuning each time. Oh well. Not that big of a deal in the scheme of things I suppose.

D.F.A.

Reaction score
I have never heard nor read anything about having to return your truck to stock when using a SCT tuner . Only inline type programmers I believe have to be removed. Not flash programmers . I never have when changing FICM tunes on my truck with my PHP FICM programmer. But I could be wrong
:eek:

Mdub707

Reaction score
That'd be great if it was true, but honestly I'm not even sure. I bought this thing second hand, did a little searching around and the first two threads I saw about it said to put it back to stock before flashing the FICM... hmmmm

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
PHP doesn't require the PCM to be stock. Just follow the FICM tuning procedures and all is well.

I ran SPD with Atlas 40 and 80 with excellent results. I'm now using Looney Wild on the Atlas 40. I got a Pmax, GOGO manifold and stock injectors. For me the Atlas 40 is quite a nice low end bump even over the custom SCT tuning.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Well I run the atlas 40 with my Srlxx. Honestly made a huge change.... Truck spools way better throttle responds better. I'm also running 175 injectors.

Went from this on spool up
-9C5A-4AC3-AE35-893B6C8A80D6-4927-0000049D60191938.jpg

To this
-A2ED-4B64-A8E0-893723ED58A3-3170-0000031B6B4D3EF2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
PHP doesn't require the PCM to be stock. Just follow the FICM tuning procedures and all is well.

I ran SPD with Atlas 40 and 80 with excellent results. I'm now using Looney Wild on the Atlas 40. I got a Pmax, GOGO manifold and stock injectors. For me the Atlas 40 is quite a nice low end bump even over the custom SCT tuning.

I didn't know the "proper" way to flash the FICM honestly, again, bought it second hand so had no clue on the right way to do it. Saw it in more than one place to put the SCT back to stock first. Good to know I don't have to do that.

Are those the only two FICM tunes you've tried? Notice any difference between the 40 and the 80? I've only tried the 40 so far, but I like it, noticed the same things you have.

Nobody running Hercules?

Planning on trying it this week hopefully, as long as the weather is nice.

Well I run the atlas 40 with my Srlxx. Honestly made a huge change.... Truck spools way better throttle responds better. I'm also running 175 injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great to hear, I had read that the FICM tuning was better for stock injectored trucks. A lot of guys were saying with larger injectors the FICM tunes were just causing more smoke and higher EGT's. What size nozzles are you running out of curiosity? Can you comment on your EGT's, or have you not noticed a difference?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
When I was down at bills getting my truck tuned we also had the 6.0 down there and with the 225/100's it lost hp on all of the bigger ficm tunes. I believe it picked up a few on the smallest ficm tune. I don't remember the exact numbers tho.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Are you talking over-all HP? Or in certain areas of the RPM band? That's interesting! I wonder how the drivability would have been, despite the HP loss.

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
My truck ran like crap with the Hercules and Looney wild tune on it... Vivian had mentioned that they may not go well together, and she had some complaints... but it seemed to do ok with the economy, 40 and 80 tunes

jdc753

Reaction score
I have the hercules on mine with Innovatives X-race and am pretty happy with it. Stock injectors, stock turbo, no change in EGT's but more fuel down low (more smoke) I just had to adjust muscle memory for the right foot to keep it clean. Much snappier and quicker to move out, plus my mileage went up quite a bit.

Got mine loaded up at a Dyno day last summer and made a couple test drives drives on Atlas 40 and Hercules 100, I didn't notice a big big difference between the 2 and ended up sticking with the Hercules tune. Made some dyno runs with stock, 40 Atlas and 100 Hercules and they were all within 5hp of each other, but I wasn't expecting big gains as I already had innovatives x-race. Basically a nice driveability upgrade, and in my case a good mileage bump too, went from 13mpg mixed average for the tank to 15mpg average for the tank, and 18mpg on sustained highway trips.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.