Plunger came out of fuel pump...

d7es3l

Reaction score
So I was removing the fuel pump from the valley & the WHOLE plunger came out of the pump and dropped in the hole... I don't have the means to pull the engine and replace pan gasket. Is there an easier way to replace the gasket? I need to make sure that the plunger is in the pan, how do I go about doing that? Thanks.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Actually I stand corrected. I thought there was a windage tray in there but I jsut went out and looked at a block and its strait through. It's probably in the pan.

You could leave it in there. I have a welding truck that has been riding around with half a pushrod lost in it for a few years now...

Bugman

Reaction score
If you want to see if there is something in the oil pan you need to drain the oil and smack the bottom of the pan with a rubber mallet and then listen to see if you hear it bounce.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would imagine that there are hundreds if not thousands of OBS trucks running around with that plunger in the oil pan with no ill effects.

Just as a FYI, if you need to change the pump again and don't want it to happen again is once you have the bolts out of the fuel pump turn the engine over by hand and let the cam and plunger lift the pump up and off of the mounting. Then to make it easier to get the new pump on turn the engine over by hand again until the lobe on the cam is to wards the bottom.

d7es3l

Reaction score
If you want to see if there is something in the oil pan you need to drain the oil and smack the bottom of the pan with a rubber mallet and then listen to see if you hear it bounce.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would imagine that there are hundreds if not thousands of OBS trucks running around with that plunger in the oil pan with no ill effects.

Just as a FYI, if you need to change the pump again and don't want it to happen again is once you have the bolts out of the fuel pump turn the engine over by hand and let the cam and plunger lift the pump up and off of the mounting. Then to make it easier to get the new pump on turn the engine over by hand again until the lobe on the cam is to wards the bottom.

Sounds good, also. A little bit of dirt fell on to the cam. Will that be okay? I will try to turn it over & see if it falls off.

Bugman

Reaction score
If you got some dirt or crud down the hole just poor some oil down the hole and it should wash it into the pan.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Is your dipstick nut that's on the pan loose or feel like taking it loose? Could take it out from there.

d7es3l

Reaction score
I just need to be sure, is the absolute only place the plunger can go to is the pan? No where else around the block? I haven't heard anything drop in to the pan. The pan isn't empty by the way. It's full. Would I be able to hear it through all that oil? My brother said he thought he heard something hitting the oil but I wasn't really listening for it.

old man dave

Reaction score
Some have sucessfully fished the plunger through the dipstick hole after locating the plunger with a borescope. Many more have just left them down there.:(

d7es3l

Reaction score
Encountered another problem! The banjo bolt won't line up with the lines! Is it because of the crush gaskets? Or should I back it out and try again? Here are some pictures of my dilemma. Any & all help is appreciated. Thank you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373510438.627602.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373510449.146677.jpg

The bolt is really hard to turn at this point. It sucks being so close yet so far away :( should I just give it one last good turn or back it completely out & rethread it? I have both gaskets on there (one on bolt side, one on line side against pump).

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don't worry about "holes" lining up. Fuel goes through middle of bolt and small diameter portion of bolt and puts fuel into banjo.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.