pmr's make a mess

01platinum

Reaction score
Wow that sucks to see but is good in a way cause I showed my wife and told her I need new rods so this doesn't happen to me. LOL

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna ask the question everyone wants to know marty... Whose tuning ?

Junior. Mine was bad either. Rolled her up to 2500rpm and bang. I thought it was my transmission.

Pulled into the parking lot to 15L of oil 25L of coolant etc... I thought yaaaay.. Goin for broke now, literally ahah LOL.

fyrehose

Reaction score
Ouch.. Hope that is not in my future. I am now over 2 years on 250 hybrids with PMR's and DP tuning. Its been down the track numerous times and still going strong....... For now.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Ouch.. Hope that is not in my future. I am now over 2 years on 250 hybrids with PMR's and DP tuning. Its been down the track numerous times and still going strong....... For now.

Tuning is crucial.. and some of kaboom and some dont man..

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Wow that sucks to see but is good in a way cause I showed my wife and told her I need new rods so this doesn't happen to me. LOL

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

LOL great excuse man!

Ouch! Well at least I dont think I will be making enough power to break any of my PMRs anytime soon lol.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Just so everybody ain't all excited about PMR's in their truck being the devil, and forged being the answer.

Here's two engines with identical tunes, mods, driver, etc...

First one is the PMR engine, lived through me doin that for 28k, 30+ hooks, some racing, etc... Ran it like an idiot because I had two forged engines sittin in the shop... Just waiting on me to get my crap together and throw one in. It ran perfectly right up to the day it was pulled outa the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7U97uADL4

And here's the forged engine I replaced it with... Again, all the same power mods. I put head studs and shimmed some 910's on it. Only change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***CopHIAe8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Worked out great...

Bottom line? You're rollin the dice with anything not full built.

Although, I still think the best "budget" option is a factory assembled forged motor. Tryin to use a rebuild, or just swappin rods seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Dieselfever

Reaction score

Although, I still think the best "budget" option is a factory assembled forged motor. Tryin to use a rebuild, or just swappin rods seems to be a recipe for disaster.

I completely agree with this, all the rebuilt engines I've had experience with have had issues that are very rare in factory engines

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Ah boy, that's to bad. That's different seeing the piston split like that, wonder if there wasn't a problem there.

And here's the forged engine I replaced it with... Again, all the same power mods. I put head studs and shimmed some 910's on it. Only change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***CopHIAe8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Worked out great...

What ended up causing that nasty noise in your video, in the forged rod engine?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
My PMR motor has over 30k on tunes and runs better than factory.. so ehh... may i ask whose tuning??

I believe you know who's tuning it was. I don't think they want this thread turning into a tuner war.

If you really don't know than I apologize, in advance, for the above statement.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I believe you know who's tuning it was. I don't think they want this thread turning into a tuner war.

Asking "who's tunes" shouldn't be cause for commentary like above, that's what perpetuates the atmosphere that prevents valuable discussion that might benefit others. What you just engaged in was censorship of a question by ridiculing the person asking it.

If you get a flat and someone asks "who's tires", or get bad fuel mileage and someone asks "what fuel station did you go to", it's simply valuable information for the end user.

Chvyrkr, who's tunes on the PMR that held together?

David N

Reaction score
Asking "who's tunes" shouldn't be cause for commentary like above, that's what perpetuates the atmosphere that prevents valuable discussion that might benefit others. What you just engaged in was censorship of a question by ridiculing the person asking it.

If you get a flat and someone asks "who's tires", or get bad fuel mileage and someone asks "what fuel station did you go to", it's simply valuable information for the end user.

Jonathon from Beans... The same ones that have held mine together for 10k + miles so far. (Frantically knocking on wood now)

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Ah boy, that's to bad. That's different seeing the piston split like that, wonder if there wasn't a problem there.

What ended up causing that nasty noise in your video, in the forged rod engine?

No clue, wasn't a lifter, rocker, bent pushrod, stuck valve, cam, cam gear, etc, that would normally go away as idle RPM's come up and oil pressure increases.

Oil pressure at idle was fine, 20 psi, but at 3300 RPM's I only had 40 ish. So leaning more toward main or rod bearing.

The first part of your post, :thumbup:

The second, Jonathan at Beans.

Jonathon from Beans... The same ones that have held mine together for 10k + miles so far. (Frantically knocking on wood now)

I didn't have timing pulled for the PMR's either. The timing was left where it made the most power, which was only a degree or two over stock anyway.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

If you want to call 3-4 year old outdated information valuable than go ahead. The problem is it carries no value when evolution has occurred.

And since when does the brand of tires have anything to do with getting a flat? LOL.

I don't think you read all of what I wrote. Go back as look at the last part.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If you want to call 3-4 year old outdated information valuable than go ahead. The problem is it carries no value when evolution has occurred.

The tunes on that engine were three or four years old then?

Latest posts

Members online