Pocket/Curtis tunes and Termie twins

Big Bore

Reaction score
Stock pump blew the snap ring off the back and my attempt to push everything back in and run the pump was unsuccessful. Decided to put the Terminators back in without the dual IPR setup since I didn't have time to mess with any possible issues. I can hardly tell the difference between the stock pump and the Terminators using the same tunes. Sometimes the idle takes a second to settle and on startup idle is a bit noisy initially, but other than that I have not noticed anything other than it seems to pull harder and smoother up top, which makes sense with a stroked stage II single shot injector. The twins definitely do not exhibit any of the issues I had previously with tunes that were written specifically for the twin pumps by someone who had live tuned the truck at least twice. I have always suspected that there is no need for "special" tuning for them, and I also suspect that the twin IPR's will alleviate the idle issues since they will relieve the ICP much quicker.

Nice work on the tunes Curtis, as always.

TARM

Reaction score
The dual IPRs should also help with idle via less aeration of the oil as that likley is the cause of much of the choppy idle people get with twins. It might be a good idea to run a oil feed from the block up to the res. I personally would have the IPR return go down the front cover and not back into the res. Nothing but hot foamy chewed up oil. Get the extra oil from the block. That is what I did with my dual stealths with 2 IPRs Seemed to idle much smoother and far less issues with erratic idle after a hard run.

Ideally I would like a HPOP res extension that is as high as the hood will allow. Keeping all the oil feeds at the very bottom. Should help air separating and keep it at the top also having all the volume one could need.

Big Bore

Reaction score
When all is said and done I'm planning to return the oil into the block using Irates oil return that dumps to the freeze plug location in the valley. I'm going to feed the rear pump using a bulk head fitting installed lower on the reservoir once I do the bowl delete, but I may use Dieselsites adapter.. I had not thought of a supplemental feed to the reservoir.

I've also been considering something Charles mentioned about regulating oil dumped from dual IPR block to feed atmo turbo and supplement engine oil pressure

Yesterday I was contemplating the idea of a taller column for returned oil and how it would be designed. In the past I thought maybe two reservoirs could be stacked somehow either by welding or something, but after looking closely I decided it wouldn't work or be practical.

Dual IPR block dumping to Irates turbo return.
HRTKUSTUM.jpg

TARM

Reaction score
Big Bore,

One thing I have been kicking around is taking the top cover off the res and having a tube welded on to it that takes up as high as the hood clearance allows. Then at the top have cap drilled and tapped. Install a restrictive orifice. Something very small. Similar to how air separators work in the FASS and second stage of the AD. That that return down the front cover. The tall narrow column would work to allow air oil to separate. The air would rise to the top under pressure and be forced out and back to the pan. This would also give you a sizeable increase in res volume as well.

It would be rather cheap to do so you certainly could experiment and see what you get.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'll data log mine tomorrow afternoon if I can find a quiet road here in Bakersfield...

CurtisF

Reaction score
I'll data log mine tomorrow afternoon if I can find a quiet road here in Bakersfield...

Sounds good. Would be nice to see what's happening, and see if I can duplicate it on Frank's truck.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I have never seen a ipr setup like that but if one fails won't you be wondering which one failed when you are on the side of the road? Im not trying to sound like an ass but curious if you will just keep spares?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I have never seen a ipr setup like that but if one fails won't you be wondering which one failed when you are on the side of the road? Im not trying to sound like an ass but curious if you will just keep spares?

No, I won't be wondering, I'll simply do a very simple troubleshooting procedure that will take less time than it takes you to switch out a single IPR in the stock location. I have a custom IPR plug that came with the dual RIPR block. Remove IPR, install plug, install jumper wire in harness, attempt to start. If it starts, I've found the faulty IPR and I can drive the truck without issue until I get another IPR. If it does not start, repeat with other IPR. And it's right on top of the motor, so it will be a zillion times easier than doing it on a stock pump with stock single IPR location. But yes, I will carry a spare IPR, just like everyone else does. I'm also trying to figure out a way to install an easily serviced filter screen before the block to help mitigate trash in the IPR's.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
No, I won't be wondering, I'll simply do a very simple troubleshooting procedure that will take less time than it takes you to switch out a single IPR in the stock location. I have a custom IPR plug that came with the dual RIPR block. Remove IPR, install plug, install jumper wire in harness, attempt to start. If it starts, I've found the faulty IPR and I can drive the truck without issue until I get another IPR. If it does not start, repeat with other IPR. And it's right on top of the motor, so it will be a zillion times easier than doing it on a stock pump with stock single IPR location. But yes, I will carry a spare IPR, just like everyone else does. I'm also trying to figure out a way to install an easily serviced filter screen before the block to help mitigate trash in the IPR's.

Alright cool, thanks for fillin me in

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm also trying to figure out a way to install an easily serviced filter screen before the block to help mitigate trash in the IPR's.

I have that figured out so its done inside the block at each IPR... it just take a little more machining.... I have it already built into the new design that integrates that housing with the top of the HPO reservoir as a new bolt on piece... I just haven't cut any chips yet because I haven't had time to wire up the CNC so I can do it all in house.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Hotrodtractor;426373... the new design that integrates that housing with the top of the HPO reservoir as a new bolt on piece...[/QUOTE said:
Integral with the reservoir cover? Sounds sweet.

I'm hoping I can find something to put between the heads and the lines that feed the RIPR block, that would be the simplest for me.

Then I need to have a bracket Tig welded to the block so I can mount it to the res cover and I should be home free, all that's really in the way is the filter housing.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

That is a design of mine from way back in late 2008 for remote mounting dual IPRs for better control and distribution in the oil system. Just a handful of prototypes were built - I sent one to Colorado and told him to enjoy. There are tons of parts out there running on trucks that never see the light of day on an internet forum.

Integral with the reservoir cover? Sounds sweet.

I'm hoping I can find something to put between the heads and the lines that feed the RIPR block, that would be the simplest for me.

Then I need to have a bracket Tig welded to the block so I can mount it to the res cover and I should be home free, all that's really in the way is the filter housing.

There are high pressure screen canister filters - but most of them are probably much larger than what you need.

I would just pick a nice convenient spot and drill and tap a couple of holes in the block instead of welding to it - that is just my opinion though.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I would just pick a nice convenient spot and drill and tap a couple of holes in the block instead of welding to it - that is just my opinion though.

I've considered doing just that, I even took some measurements once to see where I could drill and tap it and I seem to recall I didn't like what I came up with, maybe I need to re-investigate that idea.

Latest posts

Members online