Powersteering pump/box

java

Reaction score
My truck is in need of a new pump and box, but I replaced both less than a year ago. I don't want to keep replacing them so I was wondering if there are upgraded units out there. The truck is on 35's so I don't think it's too much strain on the pump. If there's not upgraded pumps and boxes what can I do to make them last longer.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Why are you changing them?

I've worked on these trucks for a long time and only ever replaced two steering boxes. One probably could have been fixed (set preload) but the customer wanted a new one swapped in.

As for pumps, I've only ever replaced them for leaking, and I had one that the shaft was broken off in.

Make sure if there's any mechanical failure in the system you flush it really well. If the pump exploded (ie: there's metal filings in the fluid) the only REAL way to get all the **** out of the HOSES is replace them - the metallic debris is like glass, it will imbed in the hoses and cause ALLLLL kinds of grief.

Hope this is of some help to you, post let me know what the repeat issue is!

Zmann

Reaction score
exactly

When I got mine 20k it had 3 turns worth of preload that needed tightened
I run a magnafine filter and swap fluid to syn no issues 70k

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
java go run by jaime rodriguez body shop and ask him what box he put on my truck. its an aftermarket box that he said they have been using for a while and havent had any problems with on many trucks. as far as the pump idk what to tell you. whats it doing???

java

Reaction score
My pump is leaking pretty bad and the box feels like it has play, but I might just need to adjust it. How do I adjust it properly? Richard I'll stop by and ask him. What is the best way to flush the system?
Thanks.

Last edited:

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
Look on the box there should be a Allen head screw with a nut around it. Back the nut off and turn the allen screw in about half a turn, make small adjustments or you can damage the box. Just adjust in small increment till the box feels better.

Zmann

Reaction score
2 lock nuts and an allen
I made a special long allen and use a and long open closed end wrenches all metric also a block of wood to hold the splash guard up ,, I suggest gloves also

loosen the top nut 1 turn then with the allen holding the adjuster lossen the last nut a little
then turn the allen clockwise while holding the lock nut still then tighten the lock nut

you can leave the other loose untill your done with the final adjustment

like mentioned a little at a time and test drive ,,to tight will bind and not return to center ETC

mine had 3 turns worth of slop when I bought my truck

Zmann

Reaction score
hmm what year? mines an 06

not that it maters the top nut is just redundant although a different size IIRC

java

Reaction score
Do i have to take the intake off to adjust it, or how do i get to the bolt?

java

Reaction score
I just finished tightening up the box up and it seems like it helped a little bit. I'll see exactly how much it helped when I drive it some more later. Thanks guys.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I like having space. I pull the air filter housing, tube, and LH battery tray/filter support.

I've had a lot of practice though, so it may be easier said than done lol

Zmann

Reaction score
I can adjust mine in 5 minutes using the block to hold the inner fender up and my long wrenches

for the allen I took some 1/4 inch bar stock .drilled the end and jambed the allen in there so I have a 20" allen wrench ,, I think that is the real trick

Agjake11

Reaction score
now is this something that is for 05-07 only or can it be done on my 04. feels like still could be tighter with all new components on the axle and just did the inner tie rods last week

java

Reaction score
It can be done on an 04, Richard (baddkarmaracing) did it on his old 04.

I wish it only took me 5 minutes lol the nut was stuck and took me like an hour haha

Latest posts

Members online