powertrain vibration

oldschool

Reaction score
I've got a 96 f350 crew cab that has a vibration between 75 and 80. I think it's the drive line slip splines. It has about 1/16" play in the splines. Had it to the driveline shop, they found a bad u-joint and said that was the problem. They said the spline wear was not excessive, but, still have the vibration. It's not just a slight vibration, can really feel it in the floor boards. Set it on cruise at 80, and the vibration changes when going up or down hills. Up, it is less, coasting or down hills it worse. Can't find a spec on spline wear. I'm really leaning towards the splines, but hate to spend money throwing parts at it. Pinion is tight, transfer case output is tight. carrier bearing has some movement, but again driveline guy said it's ok. Asked him if it could be tweeked a little and out of balance, but he wasn't real receptive to that idea. Any other thoughts, or should I find another driveline shop? thanks for the help.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How dry are the splines in the slip joint? How much movement at the pinion? If the drive shaft is out of balance get a hose clamp or 2 and put it around the drive shaft and tighten it just enough that you can still move it but not so loose that its sloppy enough to slip around freely.

live life full throttle

oldschool

Reaction score
just had tires rotated and balanced, pinion bearings were just replaced, splines were just greased. guess i'll try the balance. thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just had tires rotated and balanced, pinion bearings were just replaced, splines were just greased. guess i'll try the balance. thanks

Yeah. Might be worth a shot. Might have thrown a weight or two if they weren't put on 100% correct... did all the u joints get replaced in the drive shaft?

live life full throttle

oldschool

Reaction score
Yeah. Might be worth a shot. Might have thrown a weight or two if they weren't put on 100% correct... did all the u joints get replaced in the drive shaft?

live life full throttle

No, just the rear one, the pulled the caps of the others and said they were fine. Been fighting this for a while, that's why I'm leaning towards splines or loose splines.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No, just the rear one, the pulled the caps of the others and said they were fine. Been fighting this for a while, that's why I'm leaning towards splines or loose splines.

How did they check the caps that where pressed in? Gues it could be splines. But my 01 has a chitload of slop in the splines and it doesnt hum that bad. But I gues that doesn't mean much as they are not the same truck.

live life full throttle

oldschool

Reaction score
your right, the pressed in they didn't. And splines shouldn't cause it, so I guess it's down to the tubes? I was just thinking with a carrier bearing, and splines, could get to working against each other. Really doesn't feel like a u-joint vibration. It's a lot more intense. More I get thinking, sure could be a tube. doesn't look like any weights are missing, but.....

old96stroker

Reaction score
My 96 did this too, just not at as high of speed as yours, turns out with mine it was the carrier bearing, I had enough of that junk and had a solid driveshaft built, problem solved, good luck to you.

oldschool

Reaction score
My 96 did this too, just not at as high of speed as yours, turns out with mine it was the carrier bearing, I had enough of that junk and had a solid driveshaft built, problem solved, good luck to you.

any issues with the solid drive line. that's a long way back from the transfercase to the pinion.!! Mines in a crew cab.

Latest posts

Members online