Precision Converters - My experience

white59rt

Reaction score
SO I had a gold extended warranty package and friends at a dealership two years ago with a top notch trans guy who was doing the work. We basically had to rebuild the trans after a certain tuners tunes roached the trans (3rd gear due to a TERRIBLE flare which was discounted as an issue with my 50K mile truck) - anyhow I wont mention names I have moved on from that. Anyhow the trans was rebuilt front to back at minimal cost to me with all stock ford parts, so what the hell I figured I would put in a billet input shaft and a PI converter. Keep in the mind - stock turbo, injectors, airbox, exhaust, etc....just a tune. And honestly as of now I run Nate (windrunners) tow tune as it is the best running tune I have had - my truck just doesnt like performance tunes, never can get the trans to shift like I like it with performance tunes. That said I also never really beat on my truck too bad as it is my daily and I need it.

Fast forward 2 yrs 5 mnths - I buy a fifth wheel - it weighs 8500 empty maybe 10K lbs loaded up. On the maiden voyage through the sierras I get a flashing tow/haul light and code P1744. And my lockup was gone. I decided after reading that everything pointed to a torque converter but I couldnt fathom this million dollar torque converter was bad so I bought a new TCC solenoid, fluid, filter and ripped the pan down and replaced everything to have it not yield a dmn thing positive for me. I also ohmed the old solenoid to 4.7 and the new to 4.8 so I knew I wasnt going to have any miracle on fire up. So at this point I am figuring a TC. Take it to Ford where the same guy who did the trans is now the service manager - he took the truck home and played on the ford software and ruled out PCM, solenoid issues and everything in between. It was the PI converter. It looks to be a faulty unit from the get as it wore a groove in the hub on the front cover, he said he has never seen that before but something in the TC looks to be defective.

That said, while precision has a 5 yr warranty, right now it takes a week to ship the TC out there from CA - Mike there said 2-3 weeks to even open it to see what went wrong and fix it - then a week back to CA - WELL, I cant tie up the shop or my daily for 4-5 weeks so I am now out a PI converter, a stocker went back in, a new pump and a 2000 dollar repair bill. Its now the most expensive torque converter swap in powerstroke history.

I debated on the DPC when I was going to do this and kick myself now. I realize sh!t happens but a 5 yr warranty was worthless to me when it takes 4-5 weeks to get anything done, that is the most disappointing part. I will never buy another precision product for my diesel or my dodge dakota r/t (I was debating).

So in conclusion, I will have a fresh PI converter for sale in a month or whenever they get to it if anyone is interested - bummer.

Todd

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
Their is certainly nothing wrong with pi convertors. Tons of guys have them and beat the heck out of them. If you talk to andy Warren he has had nothing but problems with the dpc's. Hence why he uses pi

mandkole

Reaction score
My 'PI converter' (2006 vintage) was actually an ATS converter (or, they make them just like ATS) and had dodge RE guts in it, with a Ford billet case.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My 'PI converter' (2006 vintage) was actually an ATS converter (or, they make them just like ATS) and had dodge RE guts in it, with a Ford billet case.

So, you mean to tell me neither makes their convertors? :D

Im sorry...done stirring the stew..

white59rt

Reaction score
Their is certainly nothing wrong with pi convertors. Tons of guys have them and beat the heck out of them. If you talk to andy Warren he has had nothing but problems with the dpc's. Hence why he uses pi

Well that wasnt the case for my high horsepower rig :ford: --- And I have talked with Andy - IN FACT, if it werent for me Andy would still be buying the Precision of New Hampton converters lol. I got him set up with the real PI and I was his first purchase. I thought I was doing the right thing, it bit me.

It just so happens in this case, as my luck runs, mine sh!t the bed. I dont even so much have a problem with that but 4-5 week wait to turn around a warranty deal is not an ideal situation for me. Its nice I paid 1200 bux for a converter for a 5 year warranty but the warranty is relatively useless on those turn arounds, disappointing but I am back to a stock converter now and it should be fine for what I do with it I guess.

And if DPC sucks - then any recommendations for a converter from any one if this stocker loses the will to live also? Actually I will be a new 6.7 if this 6 leaker gives me any more issues :doh::ford:

Todd

Reaction score
I'm not defending anyone in this situation as I have no dog in the fight but you can't count shipping time as time it takes for someone to process a repair.

white59rt

Reaction score
I'm not defending anyone in this situation as I have no dog in the fight but you can't count shipping time as time it takes for someone to process a repair.

I agree - I was just looking at the overall time frame, I cant have my truck down for that long. But they told me 2-3 weeks to even cut it open and see what failed, ouch! I had no choice but to put a stocker back in which I didnt necessarily want but its what I have now.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's one of those parts that most of us couldn't live without for that amount of time. Hard to blame them, 2-3 weeks really isn't a bad turnaround for warranty work on a part like that IMO, but I totally get where you're coming from. For what you're doing and what your truck is, a stock converter will be just fine anyhow. Sell the new refreshed converter when you get it back and put some money back into your pocket.

FWIW, I've read a few bad reviews of DPC and PI lately.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
It's one of those parts that most of us couldn't live without for that amount of time. Hard to blame them, 2-3 weeks really isn't a bad turnaround for warranty work on a part like that IMO, but I totally get where you're coming from. For what you're doing and what your truck is, a stock converter will be just fine anyhow. Sell the new refreshed converter when you get it back and put some money back into your pocket.

FWIW, I've read a few bad reviews of DPC and PI lately.
DPC has done me very well at least on dodge converters. 2 or 3 day repair time and super fast shipping and Phil is just a cool dude.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys have been happy with the DPC, and likewise for the PI. All I wanted to point out was that all of them have issues at one point or another. I know one heavy power 6.4 that is going back with Suncoast after trying both of the aforementioned converters.

imelmo

Reaction score
SO I had a gold extended warranty package and friends at a dealership two years ago with a top notch trans guy who was doing the work. We basically had to rebuild the trans after a certain tuners tunes roached the trans (3rd gear due to a TERRIBLE flare which was discounted as an issue with my 50K mile truck) - anyhow I wont mention names I have moved on from that. Anyhow the trans was rebuilt front to back at minimal cost to me with all stock ford parts, so what the hell I figured I would put in a billet input shaft and a PI converter. Keep in the mind - stock turbo, injectors, airbox, exhaust, etc....just a tune. And honestly as of now I run Nate (windrunners) tow tune as it is the best running tune I have had - my truck just doesnt like performance tunes, never can get the trans to shift like I like it with performance tunes. That said I also never really beat on my truck too bad as it is my daily and I need it.

So maybe there actually IS an issue with your truck?

white59rt

Reaction score
So maybe there actually IS an issue with your truck?

No issues - trans was smoked by an incompetent tuner and the shift issues I have are more of a taste thing but noone has been able to correct it. My truck on EVERYONEs tunes has the shifts hang out to 4100 rpm - I dont like it that way. Only Nate at Windrunner has been able to do it, he agreed that it shouldnt be that hard as he had it right on the second revision, 37-3800rpm like clockwork.

So maybe it is my truck, nevertheless I have nothing leading me to believe my desired RPM for shifting would lead to a PI converter coming apart.

That said Nates tow tune runs great and has plenty of power for me, I believe it to be more of a light street file the way it runs actually.

I will post up what PI tells me the issue was when/if they get to it. At this point it really doesnt matter I wont ever be running it again.

white59rt

Reaction score
Here is the damage that can be seen the rest will be unveiled once pi cuts case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 70

white59rt

Reaction score
A bad 3-5 shift won't kill a trans in one day.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I understand that - it wasnt in a day - but it definitely was fine before tunes (it had never been tuned) and not long after 3rd gear clutch was smoked and it was just getting worse. Each file I got was different in how it acted, nevertheless none of them ran right - that was 3 years ago - I am over it now. It cost me then, my own ignorance in putting an aftermarket converter in when I didnt need it is costing me now (or just did). I still have a billet input shaft from Andy at warren in there though :thumbsup:

Mdub707

Reaction score
I understand that - it wasnt in a day - but it definitely was fine before tunes (it had never been tuned) and not long after 3rd gear clutch was smoked and it was just getting worse. Each file I got was different in how it acted, nevertheless none of them ran right - that was 3 years ago - I am over it now. It cost me then, my own ignorance in putting an aftermarket converter in when I didnt need it is costing me now (or just did). I still have a billet input shaft from Andy at warren in there though :thumbsup:

I know we've PM'd a little bit, but something I just remembered.... I had a stock torque converter literally implode after running tunes from the same person. Ended up needing an entire reman trans from Ford. The shifting was horrendous. I was told I had trans issues. I would load up a tune from a different vendor and the issues disappeared. How about that? :fustrate:

Latest posts

Members online