PTM Grille options

XtrmDzl89

Reaction score
Trying to decide what I want to do with my grille to get rid of some chrome. Would like to see some different grille options. And also fully painted to match grilles and how you guys went about doing them. Appreciate any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.jank

Reaction score
i did a PTM grille surround with matte black inserts to match my wheels. it didnt hold up worth a crap. poor execution on the painters part. i really like tyler blas' grille on his 6.7. he did platinum inserts. i had them as well pre painted but never installed them.

sytypehy.jpg

_20149131341.jpg

XtrmDzl89

Reaction score
Those are some sick looking trucks! But in order to paint any grille parts, you have to be able to get the paintable pieces correct? Like i know from ford you can order the ptm surround. Is that the same with the platinum inserts? I would like to to do the whole grille ptm to my truck. Thought of buying an xl grille and taking it to have it painted. But heard there's too much prep work because it's not a smooth texture. Any ideas would be appreciated

Radioflyer

Reaction score
If your wanting something a little different, we offer paramount restyling grilles and the outer shell's are really easily painted. It's not exactly a PTM surface or prepped, but a little roughing up, some self etching primer, and paint of your choice, the black shell takes the material really well.
one of the grille options:
16_zpsb717c7b8.jpg

Here's how mine turned out granted it's a 6.4 but you get the idea LOL:
10_zpsfe43adb8.jpg

XtrmDzl89

Reaction score
If your wanting something a little different, we offer paramount restyling grilles and the outer shell's are really easily painted. It's not exactly a PTM surface or prepped, but a little roughing up, some self etching primer, and paint of your choice, the black shell takes the material really well.

one of the grille options:

16_zpsb717c7b8.jpg

Here's how mine turned out granted it's a 6.4 but you get the idea LOL:

10_zpsfe43adb8.jpg

Yea that looks good too. Is there an option for the opening size of the mesh center part?

c.jank

Reaction score
Its chrome plated plastic, if you prep it properly you wont have an issue. I know there are some threads on here for prepping and painting the grille surrounds and inserts.

with that said you can get primed/factory painted grille surrounds. but the inserts all come chrome.

XtrmDzl89

Reaction score
Yea that's what I'm finding out now that I've been looking around. I'll figure something out. I appreciate the help buddy

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Just like c.jank said if the chrome is stripped and the plastic is prepped right you will be good to go. Some try to half ass it and scuff the chrome but that's not going to cut it. I'm having mine stripped and sprayed from a friend at his body shop. He did all the work on a 94 toyota pickup I have and I trust him to do it right and we are both on the same page about the prep work. It can be done right!

XtrmDzl89

Reaction score
So if I can trust the body shop to strip the chrome and prep the plastic underneath correctly, my factory grille should be good for to ptm my truck?

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Yea I've talked to several people who have done the ptm on all kinda vehicles and if it's done correctly it will last. You will probably see the usual road wear like small chips in the paint over time but with the chrome stripped and a correct prep for plastic it should take just fine

c.jank

Reaction score
yea you can strip it with something like purple power if you let it soak long enough... sodium hydroxide is what does it.

Pirogue

Reaction score
So is it economically better to prep chrome pieces OR buy new ptm Grills and Bumpers if your doing it all?

CUZICAN

Reaction score
You're going to get different opinions on this, some people will say that they've done it with no problems, others like me, have tried several times with painters that said if done properly they can make it stick, but it doesn't. With several failed attempts on previous trucks, I prefer to get the paintable parts and do it right on a $60k truck.

Latest posts

Members online