purging cylinders after injector oring swap

buckeye0913

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of upgrading pretty much everything on the truck. I pulled the oil rail plug on Friday and used my mighty vac to suck out all the oil in there and then proceeded to remove the rear most injectors to keep majority of the fuel/oil confined to those cylinders. When I removed the #8 injector I could hear the glug glug sound of fluid. I removed and swapped out the remaining injectors on that bank and had to call it quits for the day since the shop on base was closing. I had duty yesterday and went to the shop today(sunday) to finish. I removed the glow plugs and stuck the mighty vac hose down the hole and tried sucking out any fluid before I reinstalled the injectors and a very very minimal amount of fluid came out, next to nothing actually. I checked the remaining cylinders and the same thing, no fluid. I decided to say ok and installed the injectors and then manually turned the engine over a few times with ease. The whole hydrolocking the engine kind of worries me since I have PMR engine. My question is is it safe to say the oil/fuel drained down through the piston rings and if this is the case is that going to cause me any issues when it comes time to start the truck up? Also in order for me to turn the engine over via the ignition what all do I have to reinstall. I have the up pipes, turbo, spider, intercooler pipes, upper engine harness and everything connected to that off. I replaced the HPOP as well so the reservoir isn't filled yet either. Thanks guys.

79jasper

Reaction score
Supposed to bar it over by hand either before putting the injectors in, or with the glowplugs removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

buckeye0913

Reaction score
yeah I did bar it over after I installed the injectors and had glow plugs removed and no sounds of fluid or anything come out of the hole

bruce

Reaction score
just set the valve covers on and disconnect the 42 pin and whirl it over with the glow plugs out. Hell i've done it where I only barred the engine over by hand and didn't have a problem. You're gonna need to crank and fill the hpop res a few times to get it to fire though.

Arisley

Reaction score
Supposed to bar it over by hand either before putting the injectors in, or with the glowplugs removed.

DO NOT bar the motor over with injectors removed. While that will shove fluid out in the cups, it will run right back down into the cylinders. And and oil in the HPOP will be pumped into the cylinders also.

Remove glow plugs, put the covers on with a couple bolts finger tight. Bar the motor over two revolutions. You don't have to make any connections except batteries (leave the 42 pin connector unplugged and bump the starter over a few times. The reason for putting valve covers on is that oil comes out of the GP holes with enough force that it will make a huge mess on everything.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Never ever bar over without injectors in.

Pull glows, install valve covers and use the starter relay wire or solenoid on passenger side to crank it over

buckeye0913

Reaction score
so am I right in assuming the oil just dripped down past the pistons? And since I am still in the process of installing parts do I have to add oil into the reservoir if Im just going to bump the starter?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No. It sits in the cylinders. Even just having the tops of the pistons full of oil will cause a hydrolock.

79jasper

Reaction score
Ah, Roger. I thought with the key off the hpop didn't pump....
But the other possibility is mechanical fuel pump will still pump.

pdumont01

Reaction score
I always remove glow plugs install new injectors and set the covers on with 2 bolts, crank with key like 5 times then its all set. Never had an issue, wouldn't want to shortcut it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

buckeye0913

Reaction score
That's what I'm asking is does there need to be oil and all that in the hpop if I just bump the starter? If I do that maybe I'll be more at ease. If I just bump the starter wroth nothing hooked up is that fine? Not trying to break all my hard work doing something I'm not supposed to.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Remove injectors.
Clean bores.
Usual fluid evacuator to remove as much fluid as possible.
Install new injector.
Remove glow plugs.
Install valve covers
Jump starter relay.
Turn engine over a handful of times

dsberman94

Reaction score
Mine fired after about 10 seconds of cranking when I changed the hpop. Should be fine. Watched the icp climb on the CTS gauge until it fired.

Arisley

Reaction score
If the injectors are in the truck, and the 42 pin connector is not connected, the pump can do it's thing. The injector o-rings will keep everything out of the cylinders. The IPR valve will be open, allowing all HP oil to go back into the oil pan.

Berman was lucky. When you go to start it, crank for no more than thirty seconds. Give it a couple minutes rest to cool off the starter. Starters are expensive and relativity easy to overheat and burn up. One of the only underengineered systems on our trucks.

buckeye0913

Reaction score
If the injectors are in the truck, and the 42 pin connector is not connected, the pump can do it's thing. The injector o-rings will keep everything out of the cylinders. The IPR valve will be open, allowing all HP oil to go back into the oil pan.

Berman was lucky. When you go to start it, crank for no more than thirty seconds. Give it a couple minutes rest to cool off the starter. Starters are expensive and relativity easy to overheat and burn up. One of the only underengineered systems on our trucks.

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. I'll add oil to the reservoir and crank it over with glow plugs out and 42 pin connector unplugged.:thumbup:

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score

Just went back and looked at my video of my startup after injectors and it popped off after 13 seconds.. figured that was normal

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.