Question about regeneration 2008 F-250

rray37375

Reaction score
Bought the truck used last fall, have put several thousand miles on it since. One thing I have not seen is any indication that regeneration of the DPF is going on. I was led to believe that the dashboard information center will indicate when the truck is in regeneration mode. I have never seen it say anything to that effect.

I am not complaining, but I suspect that the previous owner either re-flashed the PCM with a tuner to delete the DPF regeneration and has gutted the DPF as the truck has a very pleasing whistle out the tailpipe as the turbos spool down. The fact that I average 16 mpg city and 19 mpg highway driving is also surprising considering what I heard about poor fuel economy on these trucks.

Thoughts from the Army regarding this are welcome.

BKopp

Reaction score
If you can hear turbo whistle out the tail pipe and your fuel mileage is true hand calculated then most likely it's deleted. The dash doesn't indicate regeneration on 08's. If no box or anything to indicate what it's been programmed with then the previous owner sold it deleted and then sold a locked tuner to someone else. Not that big of a deal but I personally would like to know what tune so that I don't run a hot tune towing heavy. Get an edge insight cts or similar on it to monitor things at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TD-5

Reaction score
Does it still have the factory tail pipe?, Generally, If the DPF is deleted & its tuned, the pipe will be black inside, If the dpf is still active the pipe will be bare & clean inside.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
If you can hear turbo whistle out the tail pipe and your fuel mileage is true hand calculated then most likely it's deleted. The dash doesn't indicate regeneration on 08's. If no box or anything to indicate what it's been programmed with then the previous owner sold it deleted and then sold a locked tuner to someone else. Not that big of a deal but I personally would like to know what tune so that I don't run a hot tune towing heavy. Get an edge insight cts or similar on it to monitor things at least.

Mine is an 08 and before I deleted it when it would regen it would say "cleaning exhaust filter" in the information center on the dash. And I could feel a difference in power.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

rray37375

Reaction score
Does it still have the factory tail pipe?, Generally, If the DPF is deleted & its tuned, the pipe will be black inside, If the dpf is still active the pipe will be bare & clean inside.
Factory tail pipe, and yes, it's black inside.

rray37375

Reaction score
Mine is an 08 and before I deleted it when it would regen it would say "cleaning exhaust filter" in the information center on the dash. And I could feel a difference in power.

That's what I've been looking for and haven't seen. Looks like the previous owner did a delete, then. Planning on getting an Edge next month. Thanks to all.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
That's what I've been looking for and haven't seen. Looks like the previous owner did a delete, then. Planning on getting an Edge next month. Thanks to all.
No problem! The edge cts is one of the best investments I've made! When you get one you can set one of the pid's for the regeneration status and it'll tell you DPF on or DPF off so you'll know for sure if it's been cut off or not.

sootie

Reaction score

mine sure did

sootie

Reaction score
Mine didn't. FWIW, mine's a job 1. I was under the impression most 08's didn't. I've got three around here that I know don't warn ya.

it must be a calibration thing then, my old truck was built in august 07 but i know there were a few different calibrations.

Crazysob

Reaction score
I have an early job 1 and it would flash the message. I always knew when it was about to regen. You could hear the engine tone change.

Latest posts

Members online