Question for 7.3 guys about slight miss...

David N

Reaction score
Okay. So as most of you know I blew my PMR motor up couple months back. Put in a 120k mile "takeout" motor from a 1999. Pretty straight forward. Swapped every sensor from the old motor to new motor. Along with some new parts. Injectors were reflowed by Full Force and checked out 100%. Bigger nozzles were installed as well.

Well I got AE right after this engine blew, and ever since it seems to have a miss. It always throws a contribution code for #3 and #8. One time a couple nights back, I got a code for IDM failure (I can't remember the exact code). But I have yet to get that again.

I have the stock IDM. And yesterday I tried a new blue international CPS, with 2 shims. Now when I start the truck, it idles choppy for a second, but them clears up. I do believe I have a slight miss though, all the way through the RPM range. So what is next? A new IDM?

Also ICP sensor has over 60k miles, along with IPR sensor. I have not replaced them in the 3 years I have had the truck. And I will admit my HPOP is VERY week. WOT runs result in pressure dropping to 1800psi and 75% duty cycle.

Any thoughts on the miss?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, I have never heard of shimming the CPS, but I know the #3/#8 CCT failure is usually caused by the CPS. I would try to figure out the IDM code again. Any chance of getting a new HPOP? 75% is very high.

David N

Reaction score
Ive honestly never checked compression. I was guaranteed it was 100%. No smoke on startup, and it runs damn good. No excessive blowby.

And I read a few posts about shimming it, and when I bought it from International, it came with several shims in the box. What I read said to shim it 2 or 3, but I may take them out and see what happens.

And yes HPOP is on the list, but with me in college, I get those cut eyes from the parents at me everytime I spend money on the truck. LOL

JD3020

Reaction score
I feel ya on the HPOP. Except my truck would do 1400psi, at 89%. LOL LOL LOL

And honestly, i'd do a compression test before you start throwing parts at it. You can build a tester cheap.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I can send you my compression tester to just use if you want, just pay the shipping.

Although low compression is never a good thing, I'm not sure it's contributing to your problem. It sounds like possibly an IPR issue, so it might be as simple as cleaning it....but it's just a guess.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I thought the blue cps were intended for inline 6 international.diesels? Ive only seen grey, black, and dark purple from international or ford. Black were the.good ones. Grey.sucked. International.camr out with dark purple to avoid confusion.with grey.cps. Im told now that a cps from ford or international is.fine as the.shttiy grey ones from ford are gone.

Tarm(a super wealth of knowledge) said the BWD brand cps from oreilly, advance auto, etc is fine to use as it has the original.spec Hall magnets in it.

Op-the only thing I remember about a blue cps is.some dikcbeaters were selling it as a "mod" a few years ago. It wasnt designed for a v8 but an I6 so the v8s would lope and pop and kust generally run like shti. Which makes sense that two cylinders are showing codes. Because that cps is designed for two.less cylinders.

Iiiiif its the same blue POS from yesteryear.

JD3020

Reaction score
I've got one of the BWD ones in my truck, its grey but just like the old black ones. Seems to do alright, but ever since i've installed it i've been getting a random cut-out when i'm on the throttle. 6 times so far. 5 of those times have been when i'm really laying into it, and the other time was with the cruise set at 65 on the highway.

Not 100% sure if its CPS related or something else.

ghohouston

Reaction score
when i had my truck, it would seldom throw a #3 and often a # 8 contribution code when i ran a contribution test. it was weird, it started with my grey ford cps, and i then ended up swapping like 4 different black ones in. i actually luckily found a brand new in bag black cps a few months before i traded my truck, but really didnt make a difference imo... did it after changing hpop, injectors, fuel pump, ipr, all of it... it was an e99 motor swapped into an 02 fwiw

ToMang07

Reaction score
With my grey CPS I would usually get the #3 and/or the #8. Went to the original black (not dark grey/blue/whatever color we're calling it) CPS and I no longer get them. I am 100% convinced that the truck runs/idles better with it. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

ghohouston

Reaction score
With my grey CPS I would usually get the #3 and/or the #8. Went to the original black (not dark grey/blue/whatever color we're calling it) CPS and I no longer get them. I am 100% convinced that the truck runs/idles better with it. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

i will agree when i swapped my original grey with my buddys im guessing original 96 black cps, my idle smoothed out a bit

David N

Reaction score
It may be the dark purplish color CPS, I'm not exactly sure. It was the part number from all the tests that someone ran awhile back between the 3 cps's. I will admit my stock gray CPS threw the same codes.

I'd love to have a black CPS but I cannot find one.

How can I check the IPR? Is there a way? And what do you clean?

TyCorr

Reaction score
It may be the dark purplish color CPS, I'm not exactly sure. It was the part number from all the tests that someone ran awhile back between the 3 cps's. I will admit my stock gray CPS threw the same codes.

I'd love to have a black CPS but I cannot find one.

How can I check the IPR? Is there a way? And what do you clean?

You can walk into ford parts Monday am and buy a cps and there wont be any grey.cps issues. That game is over. I bought a grey one two years ago at intl and its fine. That was only an issue during the recall period, iirc.

ghohouston

Reaction score
at 3:37, when i took my ipr apart to clean it, that "screw" was a little loose. i always had strange issues with my truck. it always ran like a striped ass ape when it had air in the h.p.o. system, then would return to normal once all the air was out

David N

Reaction score
So Ive been playing around a little bit with AE this afternoon.

I just ran buzz test, and it passed 100%. But I am getting the P1298 Injector Driver Module failure after a buzz test now. So what is next? New IDM? This as far as I know is the stock original with 230k miles.

Latest posts

Members online