question on transmission an external filter

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
hey guys i just finished up droping the trans outta my truck in preperation for installing a built one, there was a black canister mounted below the bell housing that the lines running to an from the cooler pass through, this is a filter correct? anyways my question is being that the fluid is being filtered for the cooler do i need to replace my trans cooler or can i just replace the filter an call it good? thanks

Zmann

Reaction score
I do not know what happened to your old trans ? catastrophic fail or just worn ??

yes that is a filter and was only used for a short while and is expensive as heck
then they went to an in pan real filter and deleted the externals

that filter was a bypass and oil only filtered when the trans was up to temps

suggest u do the same it requires a 09 pan and filter

if you are installing a warrantied transmission you better ask them their requirements on coolers and line pressure test ( I think ATS requires the test)

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
anyone know what the price on a new cooler? it just started slipping bad, flaring shifts etc. fried my ats converter, ATS seemed ready an willing to warranty my converter, will see what the final word is when i send it to them though..

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
itll probably be seeing an ats full built trans, if there good to me about the converter i figure ill just place an order for a trans with them at the same time.

Zmann

Reaction score
ok then ask them there requirements

i think you have more than 1 cooler also on the 6.4 being one in the radiator like My 06

but I am not up on the 6.4's

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
ive heard mixed reviews also, i just gotta see what ends up happening with my converter warranty, if theyll send me a check that i can throw towards a bts an precision converter then ill probably go that route, if they just wanna send me a converter i figure ill try there trans, atleast if there converter lets go again ill be blowing shaving into one of there products an not trashing a bts lol

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
whats the story on a cooler flush? trucks in my shop.. cant flush it here, tow to the dealer to be flushed?

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
are you speaking of a seperate in pan filter for the cooler like the canister one? i have an in pan filter to..

Zmann

Reaction score
you likely have the in pan screen
it looks the same but has no filtration media

the new ones do and filter the fluid 100% of the time not just when the trans is up to temp and sending fluid to the cooler

Zmann

Reaction score
DSC00411.jpg

vs a screen mesh
E4ODTRNSFLTER.JPG

Last edited:

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
i went over this in some posts way back but never really came to any kind of a verdict, billet flex plate yes or no? my starter gear an my factory flexplate are pretty chewed an im getting an some occastional grinding on startup so im wondering if i should look into an ede or ats flexplate which is like 650-750 bucks or just pick up an new stocker from the dealer? i see used factory ones on ebay for like 35 bucks but dont want to get one with my same problem of a chewed up gear.

Zmann

Reaction score
holy crud 650 is some coin

whats chewed up just the teeth ?

I can't see needing a billet flywheel ? but lets see what gets posted

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
yeah the teeth are chewed up from the starter not engaging, starter is about trashed so im replacing that, figure i gotta do something bout the flex plate to or ill just be pulling **** part again an buying another 200 dollar starter

Zmann

Reaction score
I think as long as the starter and flex plate are fine you should be good to go

I know mine grinds every once in a while thanks to the remote start

not sure how you wore your starter teeth bad enough to wipe out a flex plate ??

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
im thinkin i can probably get away with keepin the flexplate it isnt as bad, but three teeth on the starter are basically gone so thats gonna have to be replaced

Latest posts

Members online