Questions having a 40/20/40 upholstered?

MeTo

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right forum?

Would anyone have experience in having their 40/20/40 seat re-upholstered? I found a local shop who does very good work and picked out the material. I was told I could bring it in sometime the middle of January and it would be 2 to 3 weeks turn around time. I'm thinking the foam should be replaced since it's 20 years old. But what about the springs and metal frame/structures? I plan on putting Por 15 on the rails and such. Insure the air lumbar support system works well; 20 year old bags??? Anything else?

big adam

Reaction score
I just had my seats rebuilt. I did not have to have the fabric replaced as I have had seat covers since I bought it 11 yrs ago. The guy that did mine used the foam base but he added foam and padding to it to give it the shape I wanted. He used the wires and what not in the base but he wove strapping and more wire into it to give it better support. My lumbar bags were busted so he built foam inserts in the shape that fit me to replace the bags.

I would say that these seats are now more comfortable than the seats in my 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MeTo

Reaction score
Thanks for you input.

I got quoted $325 to replace the fabric and she said she usually adds a layer of foam to the driver's seat to compensate for it's aging. She also mentioned the other seats usually don't need more foam. I could replace all the foam for about $100 per seat. She also checks for any welds which might have broken?

I'm going to test the lumbar system before I drop the seat off. Even if it works; I might strip it out and have her replace the bags with foam just for reliability.

Since you have mentioned it; I'm going to give some thought to customizing the shape and support. I didn't think of that.

big adam

Reaction score
That's not a bad price. I paid $100 a seat just for the foam work. Make sure that she addresses the wires on the bottom of the seat. The foam pushes through the wires as it wears and rubs. Hence the cloth strapping I had added to it.

MeTo

Reaction score
I'm taking some notes here.

How was the strapping added? Was it from side to side, across the top section of seat springs. The upholsterer mentioned their is usually a fabric (burlap) between the seat foam and the supporting springs, which she would replace if worn out? Did the strapping in your case replace that layer, or was it additional?

big adam

Reaction score
When I get home I will get some pictures of the underside of the seat. I believe that it is in the wires not the springs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Usually the wire under the foam either breaks or cuts into the foam. My guy added a piece of carpet between the wires and foam to prevent cutting into the foam and repaired one or two wires. He also added extra foam by where your left leg rests. The outer edge of the foam gets abused from getting in/out.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
I kind of "collect" things so one thing I've always grabbed when I can is these seats and parts.

One way to compensate the foam wear is to swap the bottom foam from the passenger seat to the driver seat, or if you have an extra, just put a passenger bottom in the driver seat.

There used to be a mod called the Big Fig mod, putting plastic cardboard under the foam so the wires don't cut in. Old political signs are great for this, fitting use for a Hillary sign.

I have the last new bottom foam in existence waiting to go in the wifes truck. Had to use obsolete parts search to get it.

There are aftermarket lumbar bags available. Also big rig seats have them.

MeTo

Reaction score
Both bags are shot in mine. Would you have a source handy? The upholsterer explained to me how she usually just needs to "supplement" the drivers side foam and hog rings a new pad between the springs and foam on all seats. She can do a full restoration if it's needed/wanted?

Would you have or is their a source for replacement trim that covers the hinges on a 20?

Latest posts

Members online