quick question regarding single turbos on a 6.4

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
I guess this question applies to any motor, but would there be a noticeable difference in spool up between say a journal bearing bullseye turbo vs. A precision ball bearing charger an would it be worth the extra cost, hearing from someone with expirience with both types would be great, thanks guys

madman1234509

Reaction score
Coming from my experience with my twin turbo audi. This is always a big discussion on the audi forums " is there a difference in spool up from an aftermarket journal bearing borg warner, or a ball bearing tial/garrett/precision" . A lot of people tested it and there was a 2-300 rpm difference in similar sized turbos. My preference if I were putting a single turbo on, because that one turbo is experiencing all of the heat from the motor and pressure, and depending how much fuel you have and how hard thats pushing the turbo, Id want a ball bearing unit. They are proven to last longer and be more reliable.

If you took two turbos, one bullseye unit and one garrett, with their normal compressor wheels, with same exact size compressor/turbine wheels with same exact size A/Rs on the same motor, I cant imagine the difference in spool up would be more then a few hundred rpm, for the average joe it probably wouldnt even be noticeable.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
300 rpm on a car that revs to 6500rpm might not be a big deal but on a diesel where you mainly operating from idle to 2500rpm seems like it might be pretty noticeable? Just my opinion though..

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I prefer ball-bearing because the thrust is much stronger. That becomes an issue real quick if your charges "barks" a lot.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Id just get a BB. If you were doing a compound set up and wanted to save some money id say make the large turbo journal and the small one BB because the BB will most likely hold up to the larger amount of heat and pressure as, a high pressure turbo. But since youll have one, just make it ball bearing...

pog

Reaction score
What's the cost diff for the two 66? Reviews of mpd's s366 kit seem like spool is close to stock so bb might not be worth the extra $. A bov can always prevent turbo bark. Then again a bov is 650.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
I guess thats true, maybe on that small of a turbo journal bearing might not be a huge deal. If you were putting on a larger single turbo and were worried about spool up Id def put a ball bearing unit on.

My only concern would be a few people popped up a month or two ago worried about their batmowheel equipped turbos failing prematurely with excessive shaft play, and then kind of went quiet. And I think those people now have different set ups

pog

Reaction score
I believe that turbo issue was fixed with the 360 thrust bearing.

BFT

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the BB. Being that you are (or want to) run the 66 and the way it spools (from what people have said) it would be hard to swing that money.
Like tadd had mentioned, the BB will handle more abuse. I'm personally not a fan of the BOV, unless it's manual.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
From what ive seen a precision ball bearing 66 runs about 2200-2400, them im assuming id just need the mpd single kit minus there turbo..

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
A bov can always prevent turbo bark. Then again a bov is 650.

Kind of. It'll be a bitch to get right , if it barks easily the bov will be real sensitive and go off all the time.i imagine It'll be real hard to get it to work between shifts as well if it barks there. But if it doesn't bark often then yeah simple fix for sure.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Kind of. It'll be a bitch to get right , if it barks easily the bov will be real sensitive and go off all the time.i imagine It'll be real hard to get it to work between shifts as well if it barks there. But if it doesn't bark often then yeah simple fix for sure.

I had that issue, set too sensitive and would blow off if I got into it and let off a little. Then fall on its face. After the whole issue with the solenoid for it sticking, I put spacers in to increase the spring tension and now it doesn't blow off. Could take one out but may just can it. One less thing to take a crap.

Matt

Reaction score
From what ive seen a precision ball bearing 66 runs about 2200-2400, them im assuming id just need the mpd single kit minus there turbo..

To me I don't think I would pay 2200-2400 for a precision ball bearing when you could have a billet wheeled s366 for 850ish. I know the precisions are dang nice turbos but with as good as everyone claims MPD's single 66s spool, I wouldn't spend the extra money. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online