Quick trans question.

RSK

Reaction score
Ok so we know the trans in the 6.4's holds fine around 600, but closer to 650-700 they let go and 9/10 times its the direct drive clutches correct?

RSK

Reaction score
I have a 2010 aren't the internal parts stronger in those, maybe i'll just buy all the parts are build the snot out of it the first time

sootie

Reaction score
job 3s + have a different filter and pan as well as a 5 pinion od planetary.

typically the direct clutches are the first to fail, esp in a plowing application.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Mine is a job 3 '08...

76cbf92a791e3feb45c65d216970db5c.jpg

Broke leaving the line at the drag strip when bouncing the front axle

RSK

Reaction score
job 3s + have a different filter and pan as well as a 5 pinion od planetary.

typically the direct clutches are the first to fail, esp in a plowing application.

so then ordering a suncoast comp rebuild kit with heavy duty clutches would be money well spent and should pro long the life of my trans for sometime. I can get my trans built for 400 dollars in labor so that's the reason i ask, and i could have the guy toss in billet shafts at that time too if i wanted.

sootie

Reaction score
i wouldn't do that personally. building a 5R to take power and abuse is finicky. there are a lot of tricks that experienced builders use to help it last. be careful what brand and material shafts you get as i have twisted a billet input in mine and smoked red alto clutches with just a 71mm atmo charger.

Morgan built mine and of course i am happy with it. arhemet shafts, raybestos gpz clutch kit, transgo shift kit, new valve body and solenoid packs, plus some proprietary mods he does. it hits hard every time and holds the power fine. i would talk to him 217-691-1909 and see if he can piece together a kit for you.

i have had it with builders that think they know what their doing. its more costly to piss around than get it built once, right.

johnp115

Reaction score
i wouldn't do that personally. building a 5R to take power and abuse is finicky. there are a lot of tricks that experienced builders use to help it last. be careful what brand and material shafts you get as i have twisted a billet input in mine and smoked red alto clutches with just a 71mm atmo charger.

Morgan built mine and of course i am happy with it. arhemet shafts, raybestos gpz clutch kit, transgo shift kit, new valve body and solenoid packs, plus some proprietary mods he does. it hits hard every time and holds the power fine. i would talk to him 217-691-1909 and see if he can piece together a kit for you.

i have had it with builders that think they know what their doing. its more costly to piss around than get it built once, right

THIS...

I don't know how many times or how many people I have to say I told you so when something in their truck fails because they cheaped out the first time. It may last half ass for a bit but when it fails you end up wasting more time and more money initially than to just do it right once the first time.

Just do it right, do it once.

Radioflyer

Reaction score

i have had it with builders that think they know what their doing. its more costly to piss around than get it built once, right.

X3,
The guy that built my trans used me to play with these 5r110's and dial them in. At first I was hesitent but him being local made my mind at ease and we worked together to get issues solved and we've produced a awesome setup for the 5r110's. Plus each tuner does their tcm tuning differently so I would suggest finding someone who builds their transmissions along with partnership of some sort with the same tuner or the tuner your looking to use. Anyone can throw parts at a trans and consider it built, but these transmissions as sootie said are finiky, I wouldn't just trust anyone to build my trans. We run into this all the time with the 68RFE's in the 6.7 cummins too.

RSK

Reaction score
I was planning on using a suncoast competition rebuild kit with aermet billet shafts and new solenoids even though mine work perfect still

stroker221

Reaction score
Stock turbo and stock fuel burnt up a converter that took out everything else with it for my first trans. That was with a $7k trans. That was the start of my horror story with a company that thought they could build a 5r110. A month later it was clutch packs and a month after that it was solenoids, the next time it was a busted billet overdrive planetary at only half throttle!!!! (I'm never reloading early lock trans die again). And this last time it seams better but they didnt tighten up the damn nut in there for the shifter linkage and now my reverse lights and back up camera will come on all the time while driving down the road.

This is a place that builds performance transmissions but it was their first 5r110 they have touched.

Do yourself a favor and have a business rebuild it that also has trans files to go along with it and I also believe a couple of them have 3 year warranty's with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.