Radically Redesigned Wicked Wheel® makes 43 PSI on my STOCK turbo!

dietoremain

Reaction score
Holy crap... That's what I get for going over the datalogs at midnight. My numbers are off. The Boost was GAUGE pressure (as indicated by the video of the boost gauge), but the EBP numbers I was looking were ABSOLUTE values. Compensating for a BARO offset of 14.3225 PSI, the backpressure numbers were actually around 37-38 PSI stock and 38-39 PSI with the new wheel. This means the corrected ratios were 1.226:1 for the stock wheel and 0.907:1 for the new wheel.

I apologize for my miscalculations. Not to often I make such a blatant oversight. :morons: However, it still does not detract from the fact that the new wheel is extremely efficient.

Here is a graph of the (corrected... :D) drive pressure vs boost. Unfortunately, since this was pulling directly from the MAP sensor for boost, it can only read to around 22-23 PSI which makes it rather useless for reference. I'm trying to fit a 100 PSI pressure sensor to the truck and correct the MAP table so that the datalogs will be more useful. At that time, I'll also be logging MAT sensor output to get a clearer idea of what the inlet temps are.

(Click on image to enlarge)
ebp_vs_boost_sm.jpg

Once I get the new sensor installed, more data will be forthcoming. :D

This just keeps gettin better..!

dietoremain

Reaction score
With a tuned truck , Will there be a noticeable difference? . Would the truck benefit if its a ZF6 compared to an auto ? .

I'd definitely say you could benefit, I mean I wont be able to say how much until I'm running it myself.. my trucks basically a stock lightly modified daily driver so I will have concrete info in no time.. but i can only speculate at the moment..

Power Hungry

Reaction score

If you're comparing the eBay wheel to the Wicked Wheel for the stock Garrett turbo, no, they're not the same. Also, the eBay site indicates the wheel in question is for a GTP38, in which case it is COMPLETELY different than the GTP38 wheel DieselSite designed. (See attached image) DieselSite's wheel for the GTP38 doesn't use the 5 on 5 fin design like the eBay wheel or the wheel for the stock turbo.

Attachments

• eBay Wheel vs WWG2 (38R).jpg
    eBay Wheel vs WWG2 (38R).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 132

neverkickn

Reaction score
This means the corrected ratios were 1.226:1 for the stock wheel and 0.907:1 for the new wheel.

I figured that is what you meant. I just wanted you to clarify.

With backpressure numbers that low, I don't see how this wheel wouldn't let someone safely run more fuel on the stock charger. I would like to test the
38r wheel on my d66 when it's ready.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Just ordered one; I'm anxious to see if there is/what kind of efficiency gain there will be under higher boost/load. Guessing it may be time to upgrade the stock boots though, lol.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Interesting..... I'd still like to know how it will perform on a truck with stock injectors.

Gearhead

Reaction score
The ebay wheel looks like a bad copy of a gtx wheel. They missed the backsweep about half way down the fins so it will more than likely reach the choke point sooner.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
That sucks. Not any way to work into the holidays. Or start your weekend, for that matter. :(

Yep... Oh well.

Now, lets see results for some stock injectored trucks with and without a chip.

I know we might not see much in results when stock but who knows.

Also some obs guys seem to be interested, wonder how it would do .....

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
i will drive down to ya bill.. been thru your town to get to Monroe once. bout a chassis of TJ Harrision, if u know who that is?, he had a powerstroke shop down there so i would assume u do

mattymx

Reaction score
I would love to see what it could do with a truck like mine. Stock AB Cali truck with DI tunes that put out 280/500 at the wheels.. I'm intrigued for sure!

Latest posts

Members online