Rear Bypass Shock Exhaust Clearance

znunez72

Reaction score
Has anyone had any clearance issues with a 5" exhaust and the Carli/king bypass shocks? I have about 3/4" of clearance and it worries me. I'm half tempted to purchase a single stack just to rid myself of the paranoia.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Al long as its not rubbing your fine. You may be able to re adjust your exhaust for a little more clearance but it sounds like you have plenty already.

znunez72

Reaction score
I have adjusted it as much as I can. Already bent a hanger and now have it rigged with some high heat nylon rope until I figure out a solution. I beat the hell out of my truck and I'm worried that the wrong hole in the sand is gonna smash a bypass tube.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have adjusted it as much as I can. Already bent a hanger and now have it rigged with some high heat nylon rope until I figure out a solution. I beat the hell out of my truck and I'm worried that the wrong hole in the sand is gonna smash a bypass tube.

Get a side exit exhaust that exits in front of the the rear tire?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Nothing to worry about, we install these all the time and haven't had an issue with one yet. Your exhaust would dent long before the shock body would.

znunez72

Reaction score
It's not the shock body. It's the bypass tube. Thanks. I have blown a bypass tube in the past and it isn't fun. I just wanted to find a solution before I head to silver lake to see what this coil over system can really do!

NotStock

Reaction score
Possibly take a mallet and put a calculated dent in the exhaust to provide additional clearance. The exhaust has a fair amount of movement in it so contact could be possible with 3/4" of clearance. The bypass tubes definitely arent designed to take much of a hit. I ripped one off of my sand car when I had a paddle get a little low and it flexed over enough to smack it. No bueno

znunez72

Reaction score
That was my next idea. On a side note, has anyone heard the way the old skool fabs carbon fiber stacks resonate? If I decide to put a single on I would eliminate all chances of contact with the exhaust

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
That was my next idea. On a side note, has anyone heard the way the old skool fabs carbon fiber stacks resonate? If I decide to put a single on I would eliminate all chances of contact with the exhaust

LBZkatie is running a CF stack on her Dmax, not a Ford but resonation is resonation so you may want to PM her and ask.

Layson

Reaction score
Has anyone had any clearance issues with a 5" exhaust and the Carli/king bypass shocks? I have about 3/4" of clearance and it worries me. I'm half tempted to purchase a single stack just to rid myself of the paranoia.

Can you load up the suspension and see if it is going to hit. If it hits, just head down to an exhaust shop and have them fix it properly. I had to reroute my 5" exhaust quite a bit to fit around the rear shock towers and the bypasses.

You probably will regret a stack some day. I wouldn't do that just because of this.

znunez72

Reaction score
I spent all day yesterday tweaking and repositioning the exhaust. Wasn't happy with it then took a 4 lb hammer to it. Went to a couple spots and maxed out the travel on the rear. I'm still unhappy with the clearance. Bottoming out on the bump stops, the exhaust is about 1/2 in from the closest bypass tube. I have no clue how it will react when traveling at high speeds through the slop or sand. I would hate to have to switch to a 4" just because of this problem

Layson

Reaction score
If your clear than you are good. Just remember even if you have the best suspension in the world you hit the wrong bump at high speeds and you will have way more problems than a broken bypass tube. Just keep that in mind.

You also ought to throw a gopro or a camera under the truck while you are wheeling. You can watch to see how everything moves around under the truck.

What size wheels and tires are you running!

znunez72

Reaction score
I am running the Toyo 37X13.50X20 on Trail Ready Beadlooks 20X9 with 5.5" of BS. If only American Forces offered the right size!!

Layson

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool setup. I think you are better off with those wheels over the American Force ones. They will take a beating!

znunez72

Reaction score
Its an amazing set-up so far. I am still dialing the bypasses in. I run 220 in the front coilovers, 195 in the front bypasses and 150 in the rear bypasses. The ride isnt that great under 40 miles an hour but its phenomenal after 40 offroad.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.