Rear tank has only 5 gallons in it but pined beyond fuel?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Put a 38 gallon rear tank in and when I turned the key on the gauge pinned beyond full. Newer sending unit in the truck and apparently worked from what the previous owner said. Any ideas?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
sounds like a conection issue, when these arent plugged in correct they pin out on full. Assuming its the correct sending unit and it actually works, then check your connections.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Its plugged in for sure at the tank and I had the sending unit out already and the float moves free, but usually when they max out there is no resistance meaning and open loop somewhere. Only thing I can think of is my connection under the brake booster..ill have to check again and the tank swith is on rear tank that was the first thing I thought of.

m j

Reaction score
did you go to a single tank?
as was asked above...is the selector valve still in the system?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
no I unplugged the selector valve and ran lines straight from the engine hard lines to the rear 38 gallon rear tank. Im now thinking I need to plug the selector valve in for the sending unit to work?

Strokersace

Reaction score
That's what I said lol. You gotta have some power to the selector or it'll pin it at full...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. When I pull my front tank for good, I'm going to complete the circuit with the wiring and eliminate the selector on the frame.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'll be doing this also soon, any tips?

No I need to dig out my wiring diagram booklet and figure out what pin is what. I do know that you don't need the fuel tank switch on the dash plugged in for the gauge to operate. It strictly has to do with connection in the selector.

zilla68

Reaction score
ok, thanks, I'm going with the 38 gallon rear tank, and my new 60 gallon in bed tank/box combo, and the strictly diesel obs set up.

Strokersace

Reaction score
ok, thanks, I'm going with the 38 gallon rear tank, and my new 60 gallon in bed tank/box combo, and the strictly diesel obs set up.

I did a full electric fuel system several years ago. I don't use the oil pressure switch like Dennis at strictly sells. Built mine based on TomS' design. Been running a reg return with stock SD pump and airdog, 38 gal rear tank, and stock front tank. Had a 50 gal gravity feed into the front too.

But pulled the bed slip tank, going to pull the front, and just sump the rear 38 gal. Since I'm back in Kansas and don't travel near the distances I used to, I just don't need the extra capacity I once did. Also going to pull the airdog setup (currently set to work perfectly for dual tanks and selector valve) and sell it to just run a spin on BF1212.

Pull selector and fix wiring so gauge works, remove fuel switch on dash and install a factory filler plate, and have it be clean! I'll dig out my diagrams soon and post up what wires need modded.

zilla68

Reaction score
actually I thought about just using that switch to turn on and off the pump to transfer fuel if the front and rear switch will work like that.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Dang never thought about finding a filler plate to put over the switch since I only have my front Polly tank hooked up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they came factory in the 1/2 ton shortbox pickups with 1 tank.

actually I thought about just using that switch to turn on and off the pump to transfer fuel if the front and rear switch will work like that.

That's what I was originally going to do when I still wanted as much fuel onboard as possible. Had a 38gal SD poly mid-ship that I was going to replace ky front tank with. Sump that big front tank with bed tank gravity feed into it, and use the 38gal rear tank with a transfer pump to the front. No selector valve and use the tank switch to activate the transfer pump.

But alas, I'm just doing the rear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.