Regular Cab Owners..

907DAVE

Reaction score
How bad does your truck ride?

Mine rides like a brick!! I thought swapping to a F-250 spring would improve ride quality, but it didn't seem to change a thing. Its amazing how roads I once thought were silky smooth feel in this thing.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this thing out?

I am not too concerned with carrying capacity either.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
How bad does your truck ride?

Mine rides like a brick!! I thought swapping to a F-250 spring would improve ride quality, but it didn't seem to change a thing. Its amazing how roads I once thought were silky smooth feel in this thing.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this thing out?

I am not too concerned with carrying capacity either.

Its been a while since I have looked at an F250 spring pack - but - remove any overloads and pull out leaves from the spring packs until you get the ride you want - taking out short versus long springs or shortening a long spring leaf into a short one can all effect ride - making it so the springs slide well over each other does wonders too. What did you do about shocks?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Shock are defiantly not stock, they are quite a bit larger. I was thinking of switch the shocks between trucks and see how it responds.

Good idea on lightning the spring pack. I might throw some 2" blocks back under it and pull the bottom overload and maybe the next one up and take it from there.

Do you know if there is enough threads on the center bolts to do this?

Any recommendations for shocks?

Any idea's for the front?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Every reg cab long bed SD I've been in rode like a brick, 2wd or 4x4.

Its a good thing the seat has some good suspension in it, if not my head would hit the roof just tooling down the road.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Shock are defiantly not stock, they are quite a bit larger. I was thinking of switch the shocks between trucks and see how it responds.

Good idea on lightning the spring pack. I might throw some 2" blocks back under it and pull the bottom overload and maybe the next one up and take it from there.

Do you know if there is enough threads on the center bolts to do this?

Any recommendations for shocks?

Any idea's for the front?

Center pins can be made by you with a little grinding and buffing. Guy like you could have it done in no time.

I vote you go to a adjustable coil spring, four linked rear LOL

907DAVE

Reaction score
Center pins can be made by you with a little grinding and buffing. Guy like you could have it done in no time.

I vote you go to a adjustable coil spring, four linked rear LOL

I know I could probably whip something up, but they all seem to be a hardened/fine threaded bolt. Might not be worth the effort even trying to find a similar bolt to make one out of.

Could I get away with a standard Grade 8 type bolt?

I would love to have some type of link'd air or coil setup, but this truck is being built on the cheap with stuff I already have...and I dont have anything like that...LOL

JDub

Reaction score
My 2wd didn't ride that great, I pulled all the springs possible in the rear and went to an adjustable Rancho shock in the rear. Helped some, but was still a bit rough in the back.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Dammit, that's not very encouraging!

I dont expect it to ride like a Chevy, but damn...that ***er is stiff.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I know I could probably whip something up, but they all seem to be a hardened/fine threaded bolt. Might not be worth the effort even trying to find a similar bolt to make one out of.

Could I get away with a standard Grade 8 type bolt?

I've done quite a few over the years & fine thread is what you really "want" to use. However I have used course with good results. You can take a normal hex bolt & grind the head till it's round/smooth & fits in the hole. Or you can go pickup a metric allen head bolt & save some grinding.

but damn...that ***er is stiff.

thats_what_she_said.jpg

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
I have a lift on my 05 and it rides pretty darn smooth...

Well it did, over the past few months my bal joints have decided to take chit on me and now she rides like a massage chair

907DAVE

Reaction score
This weekend I plan on mounting up some new meats - and I think I will pull some leafs and see what happens.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Here's what I have in mind...

IMAG_0085.jpg

Loosing these two leafs will drop me 1 1/4", so after putting the 2'' block back in I should be close to where I am at now.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I thinned out the rear leaf pack just like in the picture and all seems well so far. Ride height remained the same and ride quality seems better. I will report back tomorrow with my conclusion.

Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Members online