Renting Toy Hauler/Travel Trailer

Jomax

Reaction score
Rv.net is a good place. That's where I go when wanting to read up on trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
perfect-- theres also some mfgr related sites (like airstream) but they are usually for coaches.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Funny that I make an opening post in the newb forum there and I get 2 PM's from members telling me to stay away from Camping World. LOL Not that I would buy a camper from a chain store (supplies ok) since I've got a hookup at the local dealer and would rather support local businesses anyway. You guys ever read the reviews of that place? Trailers getting stolen, work not being done, awful...

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
My current suspension setup is 2.5" leveling kit up front, 5" rear block, and Bilsteins. Will I need to add air bags as well so the truck won't squat? I'm looking at the Reese 18K hitch, figure have more hitch is always better. Although it's down the road, I'm just looking to get all my ducks in a row prior and put some money away for it.

Also any pics of you guys towing your 5er would be greatly appreciated!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My current suspension setup is 2.5" leveling kit up front, 5" rear block, and Bilsteins. Will I need to add air bags as well so the truck won't squat? I'm looking at the Reese 18K hitch, figure have more hitch is always better. Although it's down the road, I'm just looking to get all my ducks in a row prior and put some money away for it.

For whatever its worth, i really likenthe b&w turnover ball with the companion hitch. It gives you the versatilty to tow either a goose neck or a fifth wheel and you dont have the rails in the bed to screw up poads that need to sit flat when you need to use the bed. I dont remember what the hitch is rated to, but its like 15k or 20k, ill have to check.

Jomax

Reaction score
For whatever its worth, i really likenthe b&w turnover ball with the companion hitch. It gives you the versatilty to tow either a goose neck or a fifth wheel and you dont have the rails in the bed to screw up poads that need to sit flat when you need to use the bed. I dont remember what the hitch is rated to, but its like 15k or 20k, ill have to check.

Mine is rated at 18k

mandkole

Reaction score
Funny that I make an opening post in the newb forum there and I get 2 PM's from members telling me to stay away from Camping World. LOL Not that I would buy a camper from a chain store (supplies ok) since I've got a hookup at the local dealer and would rather support local businesses anyway. You guys ever read the reviews of that place? Trailers getting stolen, work not being done, awful...

I had no issues with my local Camping world, but big chains serve a lot of customers. People screw up. If I was on the road and in trouble, Id go to them in a heartbeat. I did almost all my own 'house' work on the coach, but Cummins and Pacific power handled the chassis/engine stuff.

How many people are going in this trailer? There are very nice tag/bumper hitch, ~26 footers with living room slides that will support 4-5 doing some weekend, regional trips with no problem. I loved the last Cougar by keystone that my inlaws had. You'll have full access to your truck bed for hauling plenty of other stuff. Ive been around many different sizes of trailers, coaches, etc and I love the midsized trailers.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Most of the time it will be my wife, myself, our 97lb Weim/Choc Lab mix, and maybe a little one. Sometimes we may have her parents with us, but most of the time it will be our little family. Oh and my Harley. LOL

I think we could make it with a bumper pull, and it probably makes more sense to purchase an inexpensive one at first and then step up to the 5er down the road. I just did a quick CL search and there are some really nice ones for under $7k anywhere between 20-30' in length.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I will say towing a fifth wheel is a hell of a lot nicer than a bumper pull. I had only towed bumper.pulls before i boughat my fifth wheel and it is a night and day difference. In winds where a bumper pull would be wandering all over the road, the fifth wheel dont care. I barely noticed it moving in 30ish mph winds one day bringing it home from my buddy's house.

valvetick

Reaction score

I had to throw air bags on my SRW 350 but my unloaded pin weight is 3700 with all the toys in the back and tanks full drops down to about 3000#'s. I have 5th wheel rails in my truck with a gooseneck plate that drops into the rails works great because I can tow anything.
5cfba5b2d96b3234f91d6f7972b70e7b.jpg
8548a21edfc0cbee5d91e4a3297af653.jpg
2d0c639f1b8878c093714f633d50f948.jpg

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I've been looking at one just like that Profuzz. Any pics of the inside? Also how did your SRW 350 do towing it? I remember you buying a new 6.7 dually a bit ago but I have a SRW truck and don't want to get another truck for the 5er.

Profuzz

Reaction score
6.0 pulled it ok , your 6.7 will pull it no problem. Probably need air bags & ouo bars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Profuzz

Reaction score
2006 raptor 3814ss don't have interior pics Google model 3814ss shows pics 👍

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Great thanks that's even better. Did you buy that from a dealer or private party?

I'm looking for a deal similar to that. Those Raptor's/Cyclone's/Voltage campers are super nice and can be had for a great price. Most of the ones I have looked at are barely used and less than half the price they were new.

Last edited:

Profuzz

Reaction score
Searched eastern USA, found

Found it right in my back yard! The guy was scared to death pulling it around . He was using a 2500 HD chevy 😨