residue on degas bottle

jban126_f350

Reaction score
poped my hood today and noticed good bit of residue on the degas bottle the truck was studded with new gaskets about a year ago the gaskets were not blown when i bullet proofed it. also did egr ****** and oem style oil cooler (those temps stay fairly close to each other) i also replaced the bottle and cap when i bullet proofed it. i have 190/100 and a stage three barder i also run the truck pretty hard. could it be head gasket? more than likely cracked head if its that or coolant cap since i run the truck hard? let me know.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well do you send the heads out to be machined and pressure checked for leaks?

Also, how was the block prepped?

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Used straight piece of metal just to scrape old gasket and sealing material away. The gaskets weren't blow when I bullet proofed it. I didn't get heads machined or checked. I may be just been running the truck to hard with a weak cap. Because I rinsed and wiped off all the residue off bottle and check it this afternoon and I looked fine. Hoping I can through a new cap on and I still wanna check pressures just need to get materials to make the pressure tester

6speedsd

Reaction score
Just something to think about.....

New ford heads are most often not 100% flat right out of the box. Just because your gaskets weren't blown when you pulled the heads, doesn't mean your heads weren't warped.

So to answer your question....yes, you could have HG issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Just something to think about.....

New ford heads are most often not 100% flat right out of the box. Just because your gaskets weren't blown when you pulled the heads, doesn't mean your heads weren't warped.

So to answer your question....yes, you could have HG issues.

True. I wiped off the residue around bottle and haven't seen any since. But my right side exhaust was white when I was looking at it from underneath. Almost seemed coolant leaked on it but I was wondering what could be leaking on passenger side exhaust manifold? Doesn't seem like the coolant level is low.

Strokethis213

Reaction score
Passenger side right below the inter cooler pipe is a coolant line with 2 band clamps. I think they run to the heater core

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Well just popped the hood again and found the white residue again. I know the coolant line your talking about but not leaking I'm thinking heat made it white.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Heater hose is about the only place on the passengers side that can leak coolant. Sometimes will only leak once it's up to temp. And it's white because it's dried up coolant..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
When you prep the deck, more than just the old gasket material has to be taken off... if you spent anything less then an hour per side cleaning, then there's your problem, improper prep surface. I go through maybe 30 razor blades on a head job.. my prep time can be upwards of 3 hours on both sides

jban126_f350

Reaction score
This in the manifold doesn't look like dried up coolant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

jban126_f350

Reaction score
If I do have to pull heads off again. An I reuse the h11 studs I have? A guy has a brand hammer new set of o ringed heads. never been used for 1500 he paid 2500. Not sure what else is done to the heads all I know is there o ringed

JMart

Reaction score
If you pull the heads off again I would make sure the deck is prepped right and just have the old heads checked by a machine shop before I worry about spending $1500 on something you probably don't need. Those o-ringed heads won't help if the deck isn't prepped right.

6speedsd

Reaction score
No that's not dried up coolant. We're the manifold painted when the work was done before? Almost looks like faded paint that's breaking down from the heat.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
No that's not dried up coolant. We're the manifold painted when the work was done before? Almost looks like faded paint that's breaking down from the heat.

Yes I installed them a month ago. They were painted black but only side did this

junglejoe

Reaction score
Check the degas bottle. Mine started doing this, turns out where the lid is screws on, its cracked right there

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Used my leak tester and the chemical turned green that mean that there's combustion gases in the cooling system. No good what's the best way to prep the deck before installing heads.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm pretty positive heads are either cracked or gaskets are blown due to bad preping. So I'll try the metal prep stuff. I'm getting an amazing deal on a set of ats Fire ring heads couldn't pass them up so I'll just throw them on. Trying to get all my parts and prices together before I start the job. If I remember correctly I'll need 3gal of coolant and 3gal or distilled water plus all the gaskets an such anything I'm missing? Trying to take her easy on the truck while I'm waiting for my shop to be open

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Rocker box seals, injector seals, glow plug harness seals, up pipe bolts and nuts, oil sandpiper, banjo seals, dipstick o ring, turbo feed and drain gaskets, oil filter housing seal

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.