Resistor Mod with Chip

lucasm12798

Reaction score
I have a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke with a 5 position chip. The truck runs fine.. But I want something a little more. I keep hearing the 7.8k mod (which is two 3.9k resistors in a row, correct me if I am wrong) or the 10k mod will give it that little bit extra that I'm looking for. I have also heard that a chip or programmer already does this. My question is that if the chip has the generic tunes will it already be doing the same thing the resistor mod does? My truck has a 4 inch flo pro exhaust with no muffler, a spectre cold air intake, zoodad mod, and the chip. The chip has stock, high idle, 50hp, 75hp, and 140hp mod. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

pungohboy

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor don't do the resistor mod. If your tuning isn't giving you what you want find a good tuner that can burn your chip.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor don't do the resistor mod. If your tuning isn't giving you what you want find a good tuner that can burn your chip.
Bingo. A TS or Hydra with tunes from gearhead(they get my vote fyi), swamps, beans, nltd, truck source, etc is your besy bet. Forget you ever heard of the resistor mod

lucasm12798

Reaction score
And not to change the subject here, but I have thought about switching to the day intake. Does it flow more air than stock? Will it make the turbo louder? Or should I just stick with the spectre?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Best bet is to just switch to a custom tuner, will run better and get better power and millage. The resistor mod will basically just give you a lope

lucasm12798

Reaction score
Also, since the 6637 filters better won't it be harder for the engine to pull air through it than it would with the spectre?

CurtisF

Reaction score
What's the problem with the resistor mod?

The resistor mod artificially lowers the output signal of the ICP sensor to the PCM, fooling the PCM into thinking that the pressure is lower than what it actually is, so the PCM responds in turn and adjusts the IPR to increase oil pressure to the injectors.

Now with that in mind, here's what wasn't mentioned.....

Stacking a resistor mod over a chip won't give you any more power. A chip is already increasing the ICP, which is EXACTLY what a resistor mod does. The difference is that a chip does it when it's needed at the correct RPM's, timing, mass fuel desired, etc., not just straight across the board 100% of the time like a resistor mod.

The other half of the equation is the high pressure pump itself. It's a fixed volume pump, meaning it can only put out a certain amount of oil per revolution. Just about any chip on the market on higher HP settings already maxes out the volume of the HPOP. So adding a resistor mod on top of it can't possibly give you any more power because the pump can't keep up with the additional demand and is already being maxed out. All it will give you is a check engine light because the PCM see's a much lower pressure than it's calling for.... thanks to the resistor mod.

Latest posts

Members online