Retrofitting the Wide Track Front End?

colo_dually

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comprehensive parts list for converting my '07 F350 Dually to the "wide-track" option that was available with the '08-'10 F350 CCLB DRW trucks, and the same front end as the '11+ F450 Pickups. Other than the obvious Axle itself (which if anyone has a part number on, that would be great), I'm looking for the list of components and available part numbers to get this project off the ground. I have 4.30 gears in the truck now, and looking to get an Idea what this may set me back to take 6 ft off the turning radius.

Any help is appreciated.

fifty

Reaction score
I put a D60 from a 08 F350 CCLB DRW in my 2002. It was a factory (non DRW) width D60 once i took the spacers off the front. I dont think the F-350 came with the "super 60"...

Smokyred

Reaction score
I thought the 06-07 Tow boss came with the big boy 60, I know I worked on one that had that package and it had a larger wheel stud pattern as well, 8x200mm IIRC.

Dave

colo_dually

Reaction score
The '05-'07 TowBoss had the standard D60 front axle with 8x200mm pattern.
The '08-'10 F350 'Fatboys' and the '11+ F450 Pickups have the wider D60 that I am looking to put in. The knuckles are 45* vise the standard 35*, which allows for the tighter turning radius.

The '08-'10 F450 Pickups have the heavier axles and the 10 bolt pattern. Just like all the F450 and F550 C&C trucks.

This thread is at least getting more attention than on the other forums I'm with.

colo_dually

Reaction score
Another thought this morning, is it possible to piece this project together with the longer Axle Tubes and Shafts, and add the knuckles and linkages and power steering box of the 'fatboy', with the center pinion, gears, rotors, etc that I already have?

I've never done a job that was internal to the axle, so this is all new ground for me.

Aaron S

Reaction score
If the dealer isnt to far from you, I say go there and get the vin off of a truck that has the axle and ratio you want and get them to look it up for a price.

You would need all of the steering linkage and maybe trac bar.

Id bet money the splines on the output of the steering box are the same as yours, but the pitman arm on chasis cab trucks is dropped and the drag link mounts on the top. It may be difficult to swap steering boxes anyways since they use larger bolts, also a good chance the pump flows more since the box might have a larger piston.

Its a pita to use, but fordparts.com can be helpful in getting an idea on parts prices.

Its going to require something to keep the same lug pattern on both axles as well. Maybe change the hubs on the rear and if you can go with the bigger brakes. Some years 450 chasis cabs used the dana 80 so parts may swap over.

Aaron

Viking

Reaction score
If the dealer isnt to far from you, I say go there and get the vin off of a truck that has the axle and ratio you want and get them to look it up for a price.

Id bet money the splines on the output of the steering box are the same as yours, but the pitman arm on chasis cab trucks is dropped and the drag link mounts on the top. It may be difficult to swap steering boxes anyways since they use larger bolts, also a good chance the pump flows more since the box might have a larger piston.

Its a pita to use, but fordparts.com can be helpful in getting an idea on parts prices.

Its going to require something to keep the same lug pattern on both axles as well. Maybe change the hubs on the rear and if you can go with the bigger brakes. Some years 450 chasis cabs used the dana 80 so parts may swap over.

Aaron

Just post in the Sunrise Ford thread and see if Britt can hook you up!

Now you got me thinking about swapping in some 08 and up F-450 axles in my 03!!

Been researching, and I read the center sections are the same.

Last edited:

colo_dually

Reaction score

. . .

Aaron

The '11+ F450 Pickups use the same axle and 8x200mm bolt pattern as all the F350's have since '05. I wouldn't mind the extra braking of the conversion to a 10 bolt setup, however I want to keep costs down and not be limited by the small selection of 19.5" rims and tires.

Just post in the Sunrise Ford thread and see if Britt can hook you up!

Now you got me thinking about swapping in some 08 and up F-450 axles in my 03!!

Been researching, and I read the center sections are the same.

The Front Axles Ratings and bolt pattern of the 'fatboy' F350's of '08-'10 and the '11+ F450 Pickups are all capped at around 6K depending on the spring package.

I've also looked at the steering box, both the F350 and F450 (pickup) have the same ratio in the steering box 20.41:1. (I believe this is the same ratio as my current setup, but I will verify) Which means I'll just need the pitman arm, and linkages out from that, not a new steering box itself.

I am coming closer to a full parts list of what I may need, though I haven't found parts numbers or prices of all of this just yet.

I appreciate all the help I am getting with this unique project. If any members have, work with, or can get a picture of the F350 'fatboy' or '11+ F450 Pickup's Front Axle where I can see all the linkages and everything, I'd appreciate that as well for cross reference purposes.

colo_dually

Reaction score
I can get you pics of an F-550 4x4 that I believe is 00-02.

Won't help with this particular build, thank you for the offer however.

The 'fatboy' front axle has the same geometry as the regular F350 from what I have seen. I've found part numbers for the left and right axle shafts, and the stub shafts past the U-joints. But nothing as to where to look for the knuckles, and weather I need new tubing/full axle, or just the parts right now.

Also, I haven't found much on the parts sights to point me in the right direction yet.

colo_dually

Reaction score
I have managed to find a picture of the axle from an '08 F350 Wide Track front end.

And that basically shot down any chance of piecing the axle together as I had planned.

So back to the drawing board looking to the full assembly part number, and keeping an eye out in the junk yards for one of these rare trucks to come in I can cannibalize.

Latest posts

Members online