returning a 6.7 to stock def fluid question

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm returning my truck to stock to trade it in, wondering if the Def fluid will be crystallized or if it'll be ok to run. It's been deleted for about a year and had about a gallon and a half left in the tank when I deleted.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I would add some warm distilled or deionized water to the tank and go for a ride. It may help solubilize any solids that are in there.

webb06

Reaction score
You may have to hook up ids and manually regen it. I had to do that to a customers truck I returned to stock once. Kept setting codes for the def sensors until I manually regen'd it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Even if it hasn't crystallized, if it has been sitting in the heat, it's no longer of any use. Have to store the stuff in a cool dry place to keep its shelf life. For the cost of a jug of it, it's not worth the headache to try and use it now.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
So whats the best option for when you delete a truck? Drain the tank completely? Fill it? Fill it with something that won't freeze? When the time comes I don't plan on removing everything off the truck. Want to keep it simple.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Even if it hasn't crystallized, if it has been sitting in the heat, it's no longer of any use. Have to store the stuff in a cool dry place to keep its shelf life. For the cost of a jug of it, it's not worth the headache to try and use it now.

I think you missed the point. It's in the tank of the truck, I don't care about the cost of the tank I'm more worried about the pump and urea injector.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
The stuff crystallizes when exposed to air, water evaporates. So if the injector was left out in the open with the feed line off of it, good chance its crystallized. But I believe after it gets some fluid sent through it, it will be fine. Pump is likely okay too.

What I meant is that the fluid itself may no longer be usable, won't have the ability to create the chemical reaction that it does in the exhaust. NoX sensor will see high Nox levels and it will set codes. But if you're trading it in, not really your problem anymore.

Reaction score
You'll be fine. It wouldnt have crystalized UNLESS you for example left the cap loose on the tank as it is upposed to be a sealed unit to prevent that from happening. I had DEF left in mine for over two years and not one bit of crystalization. As far as the lines and everything, its not possible. To prevent crystalization in the lines, every time you shut your truck off when not deleted, it pulls all DEF from the lines back to the tank to prevent possible crystalization in the lines/injector. So as long as your tank wasnt exposed directly to air this whole time, you should be fine. Its also not hard to drop the tank, run some water in it, clean it out and refill it with new DEF. We just had a thread on it recently.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65348

-Nathan

Latest posts

Members online