rough idle on new injectors

Bubba88

Reaction score
Ok guys, I got a set of 175/100s from Jesse Warren a couple months ago. After installing them the truck drives great w/ plenty of balls but it idles rough as chit. It feels like it has a lopy cam installed. Eric has sent me numerous tunes trying to see if we can fix it but no luck so far. I want to check everything and rule everything else out first before I call Jesse and tell him the injectors may be bad.

I've got a CTS along w/ analog gauges as well. My fuel psi is constantly at 62psi. I've changed the oil and all filters (even the AirDog) but no change.

Any ideas?

Bubba88

Reaction score
Plugged spill ports? If so a choppy idle is normal.

Those were my thoughts but a buddy just got a set of Warren 175/75s and he said his idles smooth like stock. I'm not sure if the 100% nozzles are the reason being that his are 75%

ncdzl

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Those were my thoughts but a buddy just got a set of Warren 175/75s and he said his idles smooth like stock. I'm not sure if the 100% nozzles are the reason being that his are 75%

They're not. Find out if he plugged the spill ports on yours.

Bubba88

Reaction score
Are you talking about Jesse??

I'm going to see Bill @ PHP Saturday morning to try and work some stuff out and see if we can't get this fixed through tuning.

I just wanted to see if there was certain numbers I need to look at on my CTS like icp voltage, duty cycle, etc?

Steelnc

Reaction score
I have a set of warren 190/75's and mine have always idled kind of choppy until warmed up. Smooths out around 170*. Does yours smooth out once warm?

Bubba88

Reaction score
I have a set of warren 190/75's and mine have always idled kind of choppy until warmed up. Smooths out around 170*. Does yours smooth out once warm?

No, they actually idle fairly smooth when its warming up in the mornings but as soon as it gets to operating temps the choppy idle begins.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Jesses tunes are good for his injectors.

Eric does good w plugged spill ports. Noone likes tuning them.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yup....just like that. But now why would my buddies that also came from Jesse have a smooth idle w/ no "surging/loping" ?

Probably didn't have plugged ports..

The ones in the video aren't jesses but are 205s w plugged spill ports on the stock tune.

I bet they smooth out around 800+ r don't they?

If you have the ability change the idle speed to 875+ and see how it idles then.

As long as everything else looks right I'm betting that's your issue...I wouldn't call it a problem as its normal for plugged spill ports

Bubba88

Reaction score
Actually , the idle fine when it's in drive. When I put it in park is when it gets choppy. His injectors are plugged as well btw

Steelnc

Reaction score
No, they actually idle fairly smooth when its warming up in the mornings but as soon as it gets to operating temps the choppy idle begins.

No idea then. Mine have done it since day 1. Hell I plug mine in at night in NC with temps in the high 60's low 70's in the morning just so it doesn't buck going to work. Maybe I need to call Jesse.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Actually , the idle fine when it's in drive. When I put it in park is when it gets choppy. His injectors are plugged as well btw

When its under a load...I.e.in drive...park w the ac on...ect...it will smooth out but randomly lope then back to normal...yes I know..

Bottom line you have plugged spill ports and a tune written for open spill ports..

To achieve ideal idle you need a tune for plugged spill ports.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No idea then. Mine have done it since day 1. Hell I plug mine in at night in NC with temps in the high 60's low 70's in the morning just so it doesn't buck going to work. Maybe I need to call Jesse.

Bucking really isn't a trait of plugged spill ports.

My 205/150s drive normal...idle normal in a high idle and with a tune written specifically for plugged spill ports.

I would verify that all other factors are good before going any farther. Stiction will cause bucking a shift flares.

Bubba88

Reaction score
When its under a load...I.e.in drive...park w the ac on...ect...it will smooth out but randomly lope then back to normal...yes I know..

Bottom line you have plugged spill ports and a tune written for open spill ports..

To achieve ideal idle you need a tune for plugged spill ports.

I'll check with Eric and see if he wrote the tune for plugged spill ports or not.

Latest posts

Members online