Rough Idle When Warm??

Reaction score
Ok that's what I was wondering thanks for all the help. I will try replacing it and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
do you have a scan gauge, scanner or AE? You should measure ICP with and without the sensor plugged in also. My truck does not change sound or behavior when the sensor is plugged or unplugged, but there is a change to default.

Reaction score
No I do not have a scanner or what not. I really need to get one. I can get one off of a parts truck today. I'm just gonna see if it works. If not I'm thinking ipr is the culprit.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Anybody here wanna let it out there that this us the ugly truth about 7.3s is they can idle like dammit even wen everything is fine? Get em hot. Can get choppy idling after that. Do a wot run. Chop chop...

Add modded oil...modded injectors. .it doesnt get better.

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^very true. It is the nature of the beast given all that's going on. You throw reman injectors in the mix (that have well used, unserviceable poppets each having pounded themselves a little differently) and things get interesting when the oil gets hot. My ICP sensor puts oil on the plug but likely wont replace it until the CEL comes up on a regular basis or it has no ability to manage ICP. There is a side of me that wants to try changing it... I gotsta know.

My focus in this discussion was to help 888 avoid replacing a sensor and getting no results.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I need to hear the "rough idle" before I could say if I thought it was unusually rough.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hmmmm...I hear the fluctuation....but it doesnt sounds as bad as it looks. It sounds like a miss.

If you unplug the injectors one by one can you get it to stop?

Reaction score
Get what to stop?? The fluctuation?? I'm wondering if I have injector problems. But it's only when it's warm. But when it's cold it runs smooth just smokes blue alittle.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Get what to stop?? The fluctuation?? I'm wondering if I have injector problems. But it's only when it's warm. But when it's cold it runs smooth just smokes blue alittle.

Yes! Remove the valve covers and unplug injectors one by one with it running. See which, if any get it to stop rocking the damn motor. Id personally be rippin' them whores outta there and send em to whoever your guy is. Check them out.

Reaction score
My mechanic said when he was in there doing injectors that the under valve cover harnesses don't look too hot.

mandkole

Reaction score
Not hearing a dead miss, but more of a contribution miss (guessing that 1-3 injectors have funky oil sides). As suggested, the injectors should come back out.

My suggestion would be to do a compression test to be sure of cylinder health(if not already done), pull the injectors and have them reviewed again, replace harnesses when they go back in. Also, you really need a scanner to support good troubleshooting on these trucks.

Reaction score
Is there a way I can tell by seeing the injectors with the covers off?? I really can't be without this truck. Its my daily driver.

mandkole

Reaction score
You could but unless you have one that is just not moving oil (not running), it will be difficult.

You could pull the VCs, disable the injectors, and crank the motor over to build ICP. This way you are deadheading the oil rails. (Or, you could hand pump pressurize the rails.) Then, look for oil moving at the injector spouts and around the base. This could show a bad top oring, or a poorly sealing poppet.

Pretty hard to diagnose injector performance with them in the truck.

Reaction score
Ok maybe I will try that. So if I have faulty injectors wouldn't I be experiencing some sort of power loss?? I mean this thing runs like a top when I'm getting on it. It just is idles really weird.

mandkole

Reaction score
Fuel flow, spray and injector balance differences are most noticeable at idle. You could just about turn an injector off at 3000 rpm and the other 7 will cover up for it pretty good.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.