Rough idle?

jake19xx

Reaction score
Well let me start by saying the is my first diesel. I feel like the idle is kind of rough. Not sure if you can tell from the video but how do you guys feel it sounds?

th_20150324_170257_zpspmnvmer9.png

mandkole

Reaction score
Welcome to PSA and your first diesel..

Tell us more about the truck-- mileage, condition, how long you've owned it, issues you've fixed, anything you've done to it, etc.

Until it does the random 'rump, rump' it sounds like it idles pretty decent. Do you have a check engine light lit now? Have you had one recently? Having a code reader, AE software or a scan gauge is almost mandatory-- Id be lost without it.. A scan gauge would be the first thing I bought for a new truck. Clear the codes and see which ones come back.

Does it 'rump' like that under load? When did it start doing it? Does it do it all the time? Any hard starting?

If you want to guess, throw a CPS in it and see if it improves. If it doesnt help, having a spare is always good.

jake19xx

Reaction score
The check engine light is on. Only had it for a week. Didnt notice it when i picked it up and just noticed it when i started it yesterday. It was alittle hard to start today 45 degrees out. Turned on waited then cranked and it didnt fire right away so i turned off turned back on and waited again then it started. He said larger injectors and trans was. Rebuilt. Also he has a edge programer that isnt on it. 300k i believe is what it said

Also it seems to drive just fine only does that at a idle

mandkole

Reaction score
Do you have the edge? It doesn't play nice with auto trans but they read codes. Be sure you get it.

jake19xx

Reaction score
No. I havent got it yet. I know the guy who has it and he wouldnt intentionally rip me off. He hadnt made it to pick it up yet.

jake19xx

Reaction score
If he dont have it by the weekend i have a friend that should be able to check the code for me

Jeromy

Reaction score
Depending on the injectors you may need custom tunes to make them run right. I would find out what size injectors you have and get some tunes from Gearhead or whoever else appeals to you. I would ditch the Edge or just use it for codes because I think they work best with stock injectors.

Might also be stiction or plugged up IPR, it's a lot more common in 6.0s but can still happen in 7.3s, you might try running Archoil AR9100 or Rev-x in your oil and see if it clears up any of your problems. The cheap parts store code readers can't really read codes very well, AutoEnginuity is a great tool for diagnostics and well worth the money.

jake19xx

Reaction score
Im gonna have to find a place that has all these abbreviations... haha um were do i need to look to find which ones they are?

Jeromy

Reaction score
Im gonna have to find a place that has all these abbreviations... haha um were do i need to look to find which ones they are?

ICP - Injection Control Pressure sensor located at front of drivers side head
IPR - Injector Pressure Regulator located at the back, bottom side, of HPOP
HPOP - High Pressure Oil Pump located in the front of the engine, in the valley
CPS - Cam Position Sensor located on the front bottom side of the engine near the harmonic balancer
PCM - Powertrain Control Module is your computer located by your left foot, under the dash
IDM - Injector Driver Module is a computer for your injectors located above your driver side wheel well
EBPS - Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor located in front of your HPOP
EBPV - Exhaust Back Pressure Valve is located in the exhaust side of your turbo, connecting to your downpipe

Those are the basics, you can Google stuff like "7.3 IPR location" to find pictures of exactly where it's located.

I would also go ahead and change the oil, fuel and air filters so you're starting a new cycle on everything and know when they were last changed, should be changed next, etc.

Last edited:

jake19xx

Reaction score
Well i took it to my mechanic today and the check engine light has ALOT of codes being thrown.

jake19xx

Reaction score
I dont remeber but there was a whole list. He cleared them and is gonna let me know what comes back

jake19xx

Reaction score
He said the map sensor is why the check engine light came back and that was the only thing

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.