S&B Intake???

Tom S

Reaction score
They kinda faded away on me. Do you want me to send an email to them again to see if I can bump up some interest?

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What ever happened with S&B redesigning the OBS intake?

I didn't know they were considering it. The current design is such that despite liking their products, I didn't purchase an intake for either of my obs trucks.

Tom S

Reaction score
There was a fitment issue that varied from truck to truck. I think they might have modeled on a wrecked truck or one that had the motor and cab not well centered. They were very interested but it seemed like they got sidetracked. I will send an email to them tomorrow.

Tom

newman

Reaction score
We should focus on the Morgan Wildman dyno day then we can pursue this. I have a tymar setup right now but would like a true CAI

Tom S

Reaction score
We should focus on the Morgan Wildman dyno day then we can pursue this. I have a tymar setup right now but would like a true CAI

I am on that one too.

I just sent the Email to S and B with a link to this thread.

Last edited:

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
The problem with heat shields and routing air through intake boxes is that whenever you direct air flow, you increase restriction. Low restriction is the goal, so using a filter that has the ability to flow large masses of air and then enclosing it in a box yields very poor results. Heat shields do literally nothing. Air flow under the hood is dynamic and not static. It is moving all the time. Hot air will move right around a heat shield at the same temperature and be ingested and the only thing you have caused is turbulence.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The problem with heat shields and routing air through intake boxes is that whenever you direct air flow, you increase restriction. Low restriction is the goal, so using a filter that has the ability to flow large masses of air and then enclosing it in a box yields very poor results. Heat shields do literally nothing. Air flow under the hood is dynamic and not static. It is moving all the time. Hot air will move right around a heat shield at the same temperature and be ingested and the only thing you have caused is turbulence.

That's a good point. What I have now is one truck with afe "full metal" intake with that cumbersome heatshield and the other just has a piece of exhaust piping going to a filter. Honestly, I can't tell any difference in how the trucks run but that's just me.

Tom S

Reaction score

So you disagree with OEM airbox designs in general? I run a Tymar on my truck but I am not certain all these years later that there is not room for improvement. I just did a little intake temp study on a recent trip. As long as the speed is up the temps are decent and not far off ambient. I would love to see data pulling a long grade like Eisenhower at 35 MPH with a big load on a hot day though.

This was the reply from S and B today.

Thomas,
Thanks for the email. I did eventually end up finding a truck to see the issues you guys were having. We also scanned it for re-design. We are behind in a lot of late model applications right now and haven't gotten around to the re-design. We still have all the photos and documentation you did for us on file. I don't see us getting to it until after the first of the year. I apologize for the extremely long delay in this project and appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Craig

Latest posts

Members online