Safety of tranny on big HP tunes for the 2015's

Axis2011KR

Reaction score
Been reading about people having overly aggressive shifting on the big tunes from several shops and just wandering if anyone has experienced any actual transmission damage or if the shifts are just firmer then they liked for daily driving.

My parts are in the mail and I was planning to run on the big tune full time like I did on my 2011 with the H&S, don't mind firm shifts, but don't want my tranny to $hit the bed either... FWIW I never had any problems running on the big tune in my 2011 and figured the tranny is the same on my 2015...

Opinions?

20156point7

Reaction score
I have been running pip tunes on my 2015 for 3500 miles I have ran the extreme tune most of the time but i have been running the lvl 3 performance tune here lately and it is a much better tune for everyday driving due to less smoke and it's easier on the trans.

sootie

Reaction score
the 2015 trans is weaker than the 2011.

not that hard to hurt a 2015 trans from what i hear...

sootie

Reaction score
Wonder why they would do that when they increased hp and torque???:shrug:

not enough parts sales :lookaround:

Morgan @ Midwest roached his 2015 trans and said the direct clutch count was lower.

i dont hear of failures on stock trucks fwiw

Axis2011KR

Reaction score
I have been running pip tunes on my 2015 for 3500 miles I have ran the extreme tune most of the time but i have been running the lvl 3 performance tune here lately and it is a much better tune for everyday driving due to less smoke and it's easier on the trans.

So were you getting slip/squeal or anything from the trans or just the shifts were overly aggressive for a daily? I've heard the 2015's smoke quite a bit more then the 11-14 trucks which I assume is due to more fuel on the table from the factory. I've seen people locking out the higher gears around town to reduce the smoke because it seems to be worst when the truck is lugging 5th or 6th at low speed.

the 2015 trans is weaker than the 2011.

not that hard to hurt a 2015 trans from what i hear...

Do you have any evidence to back up that it's weaker? Just trying to figure out what if anything is failing or was changed from the 11-14 models. I don't know why Ford would detune the tranny on a truck with more power from the factory. The only people that had tranny issues on the 11-14 trucks were drag racing them (boosted launches) or running aftermarket turbos.

Edit: just saw your second post about less clutches...interesting...

I'd agree I see a lot more people worried about their tranny for sure on the 2015's but am not sure if that's due to failures or just Ford denying warranty on so much these days they aren't willing to risk anything.

Thanks for the replies fellas

20156point7

Reaction score
No my trans wasn't slipping but the performance tune is more tame for everyday driving. I will probably flash back to the extreme because it gets better mileage and its fun.

jbair14

Reaction score
Running the KEM tuning on Race mode was scaring me that I would lose my tranny in my '15. I ran it for ~2k miles hoping it would start to shift better but changed back to the performance street setting. Under full throttle pulls the 4-5 shift was very violent and sparatic sometimes slipping for 2-3 seconds. The shifts under 1/4 throttle were harsh as well and not meant to be daily driven. The shifts are great in the performance setting, just not full power potential.

Axis2011KR

Reaction score
No my trans wasn't slipping but the performance tune is more tame for everyday driving. I will probably flash back to the extreme because it gets better mileage and its fun.

This is likely what I'll do then if I think it's too rough turn it down to performance or find a better trans tune. I'm on different tunes but same concept.

Running the KEM tuning on Race mode was scaring me that I would lose my tranny in my '15. I ran it for ~2k miles hoping it would start to shift better but changed back to the performance street setting. Under full throttle pulls the 4-5 shift was very violent and sparatic sometimes slipping for 2-3 seconds. The shifts under 1/4 throttle were harsh as well and not meant to be daily driven. The shifts are great in the performance setting, just not full power potential.

Yikes! This is what I was talking about. Did you try the transmission relearn before beating on it? I'm not interested in having my tranny slipping profusely but don't mind firm shifts even at non WOT as long as they aren't damaging rough. Have you tried anything other then KEM?

jbair14

Reaction score
I loaded it twice and the second time took it very easy for the first 250 miles for the tranny re-learn and it wasn't any better. I haven't tried any other tunes, I'd like to maybe try PIP just for reference. I do miss being able to cruise around in the highest tune and not have harsh shifting (6.4 w/ H&S).

turner97

Reaction score
What do you guys recommends for the set up on these 2015 my buddy just got his and wants to do deletes Nd tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higherlife

Reaction score
What do you guys recommends for the set up on these 2015 my buddy just got his and wants to do deletes Nd tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as of right now, there are very few options for tuning. PIP, KEM and Innovative. I've stated whom i use so i wont go any further. Deleting is fairly simple with basic tools, i'm pretty sure someone has a tutorial written somewhere.

IMO all the tuning that is available is still in the 'testing phase', with updates every few months. Some trucks run great, others not so much. You don't have to dig deep on this forum alone to find many reviews on each tuner.

Axis2011KR

Reaction score
Well got mine tuned last night and maybe my truck is just lucky or my different tunes have less aggressive tranny shift points but I only get an occasional hard shift nothing crazy hard at all at part throttle shifts sometimes but overall the driveability is really good and smooth shifts 95% of the time. When you mash on it, it's crisp through the gears as it should be. This is on the big tune.

Latest posts

Members online