Sch 40 SS Headers

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Just thought I would post some pictures of some headers that I have been working on. They are sch40 304L stainless. All welds are full pen (root and cap), purged with argon backing gas. After welding, the headers were pickled and passivated. This set is going to Jess Warren tomorrow so he can test them. So, opinions, criticism, questions, fire away!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1082.JPG
    DSCN1082.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN1083.JPG
    DSCN1083.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCN1084.JPG
    DSCN1084.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 403

strokin6L

Reaction score
nice...1/4" bigger! Looks great and can't wait to hear how they work out for Jesse. I'm sure he'll put them to the test pretty good.

squeak12

Reaction score
What was the purpose of the pickling and passivization? More so, how beneficial is it on a set of headers?

Last edited:

DBQLSC

Reaction score
I pickled and passivated the headers because the acids found in diesel exhaust is somewhat similar to what is found in biogas. I built an inert gas generator for a prototype project at work that saw temps at 3000F and the field piping that was not treated didn't visually hold it's appearence as well as our skid piping. And yes, they do bolt up directly to the stock up-pipes. The only thing that is not pictured is the sealing ring for the socket end of the up-pipe.

strokin6L

Reaction score
yeah i noticed that to Ivan....that's why i asked. But sounds like they might tho. Would like to see them with the the sealing ring/socket where they bolt to the Y-pipe

kdogg85

Reaction score
Lookin' good. Out of curiosity, any reason for doing a common log over a tri y or 4-1? Space limitations maybe?

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Lookin' good. Out of curiosity, any reason for doing a common log over a tri y or 4-1? Space limitations maybe?

I went with a log style over the other designs due to a large log style being about 90% as efficient as the other designs. The others were vastly more prone to cracking and fit in the same foot print as the stock manifolds. The primaries are not exactly the funnest thing in the world to weld, because there is only 1 1/8" between the collector and the flange. Well, that and my welder at home was probably the one that put together the Titanic. I've got an issue with the welder I'm trying to figure out. Starting an arc, it wants to blow the tip of the tungsten off, making it weld like you just kamakazied the tungsten into your weld pool. So that will be resolved before I make any more of these. That or I'll borrow a maxstar from work till I get it figured out.

Latest posts

Members online