Sending a set of heads off to be reworked

mharring

Reaction score
Im getting a set of 6.4 heads from a friend of a 2010. Any one know any good places that can open up and port a set of heads and put some actual valve guides? Or is better to buy a set of heads like the big dawg heads and use the donors as cores??

Black AOD

Reaction score
Have them decked flat and magnafluxed, O-Ringed, install hardened valve seats, you can have them ported and do oversized valves if you'd like but that's up to you.

Porting will obviously help flow more, just make sure whatever shop does the porting knows what theyre doing. 6.4 Heads don't have a lot of material to work with when porting, it doesn't take much before you hit the water jackets....

sootie

Reaction score
dont do hardened valve seats. They come out and trash your motor...

wiseguy

Reaction score
bronze don't hold up well on daily drivers better hear transfer but much shorter life. I have seen several sets rebuilt with bronze with under 50k worn over .007 clearance. use all new valves are really not worth reclaiming new oe quality can be had for under 220 bucks a set. we check every head we pull under .0035 we will reuse existing guides .004+ get new iron guides. I dont retail any but pressure test ,mag, surface, 32 new guides , 32 valves & seals runs about 1000 bucks. Any good machine shop should be in that price range. i never had an issue with hardened seats 6.4 are hard to do easy to get into water jacket " found out the hard way" If a seat pulls out either the fit was wrong too loose, but most commonly overheated.

Latest posts

Members online