Serpentine belt

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Ok, so it's time for a new belt, and I have 2 options to choose from. Cold weather package, and without cold weather. I live in NC so the block heater has never been used (since I've owned the truck). Does anyone know the actual difference in the 2? Could I run the regular belt? Or is the cold weather belt the only option that fits with the block heater?

01 7.3 F250
4" Diamond Eye exhaust
"Tymar" Intake
EGT, Trans Temp, Boost

joe d

Reaction score
Block heater doesent effect belt unless i missed something? Heater is on driverside of engine near the oil cooler.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I don't know where you are buying from....but it sounds like they don't have a ***kin clue. The only 2 different belts are dual alternator and standard.

Just buy an OEM belt from Sunrise or Riffraff.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
I don't know where you are buying from....but it sounds like they don't have a ***kin clue. The only 2 different belts are dual alternator and standard.

Just buy an OEM belt from Sunrise or Riffraff.

Every parts store I called, advanced, auto zone, and Oreillys all gave a "cold weather option". That's what tripped me out, I had never heard any different until I called the parts store

ToMang07

Reaction score
Every parts store I called, advanced, auto zone, and Oreillys all gave a "cold weather option". That's what tripped me out, I had never heard any different until I called the parts store

Yeah, well one of those you listed also sells spark plugs for the 7.3L as well, or at least they did...

Serpentine belt is kinda important. Probably not something to cheap out on.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Yeah, well one of those you listed also sells spark plugs for the 7.3L as well, or at least they did...

Serpentine belt is kinda important. Probably not something to cheap out on.

Sweet Jesus, that spark plug thing is scary, not trying to cheap out, just fix it today. Thank you for restoring my faith that parts counter guys are morons

GregW

Reaction score
Check with your local NAPA if there's one close. They don't seem to be quite as bad as the other big name stores, and I've had great luck with their serpentine belts in the past.

dmd

Reaction score
If you havent changed the top radiator hose to one that is made for dual alternators
now is the time. With the single alt hose you have to remove the hose to change the
belt. Might as well change the hose while at it. Then if you break a belt you dont
have to remove the hose on the side of the road to install a new belt.

Also, keep the old belt behind the seat as a quick spare.

Arisley

Reaction score
What he said. There is a notch in the alternator bracket for the dual alternator upper radiator hose to lay in. Either a wrap of electrical tape or a almost loose zip tie to hold it in place and keep it from sucking into the belt.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Yea, called NAPA. Never even mentioned "cold weather package" just single or dual alts... I do believe Ima go fu¢k with some parts store employees

01 7.3 F250
4" Diamond Eye exhaust
"Tymar" Intake
EGT, Trans Temp, Boost

joebuck

Reaction score
If you have dual alternators than the belt you want is Motocraft Jk81381,just bought one a month ago off amazon hope that helps

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
If you have dual alternators than the belt you want is Motocraft Jk81381,just bought one a month ago off amazon hope that helps

Na single alt, I was just confused about the whole "cold weather package" option. Nonetheless, it's fixed now, I was able to be able to decipher enough of the number on the belt. The squeak was driving me nuts. Odds are the belt would have lasted another 50K though. I was just annoyed with it instantly, so it had to go

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.