Short block assembling, tools?

cRaZy8

Reaction score
My short block is at the machine shop now getting worked over.
The machinist had a partner (recently deceased) who did all the assembly work.
He doesnt assemble engines, just bores, hones, measures etc.

My dads good friend is a local engine builder, but has never assembled a diesel.
I will be assembling this with him.

Is there a list some where of any special tools needed?
I have yet to get my hands on a manual.
Buddy of mine works at a diesel repair shop and is working on getting me a manual from Ford.

OR.......

Does anyone have a reputable builder any where from just say, southern Mass to RI, to Eastern NY, Northern NJ or CT?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Youll need a crank alignment tool, for timing the cam and crank. Ive done it a couple times without, but after screwing up once, i use it every time now. And front and rear seal installers, as they come with wear sleeves that have to be pressed on as well with the seal. Other than that, its pretty straight forward.

sisupower

Reaction score
Basic tools really. Ring compressor to install pistons. Assembly lube. Torque wrenches, 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 12point sockets if you are doing arp studs. A lot of good towels that don't leave fibers behind. Keep it clean as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick7.3

Reaction score
Youll need a crank alignment tool, for timing the cam and crank. Ive done it a couple times without, but after screwing up once, i use it every time now. And front and rear seal installers, as they come with wear sleeves that have to be pressed on as well with the seal. Other than that, its pretty straight forward.

You line up the cam gear timing mark with the dowel on the crank right?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You line up the crank gear timing mark with the dowel on the crack right?

They arekinda weird. There is a hole in the cam gear that needs to be at 12oclock, then the dowel on the crank also needs to be at 12oclock. The tool has a peg in it, hen bolts to one of the bell hoising holes. The other end has a groove in it that the dowel slides into. I had one that was a tooth off and it missed like a mother over 2k rpm and smoked like crazy. Idled perfect d ran fine under 2k though.

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I pulled my crank adapter off to swap cams while I did all new lifters as well. This is how I timed it no issues yet lol
abc4e5495545418e50fa16e1731e245f.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive never pulled an adapter, as i have had access to the tool usually. The first ones i did without the tool, it was missing, then was found as someone who got fired had their toolbox searched...

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Pulling the adapter is the easiest way. River City sells an arp adapter bolt kit.

this is how we have done it in the past.

we also have an alignment tool from Street Diesel Performance when assembling a full block.

visual inspection is good, but we like piece of mind everything get triple checked. 5 minutes checking now saves hours and dollars later

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I guess I'm still confused. I have pictures before I pulled it off in the same orientation and I also marked everything
7c7faf26ee93c264d1f8bffa2b4a338d.jpg

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Those 2 holes dowel pin holes are for the alignment tool. They go in the top. That little dot by the gear tooth is your timing mark. Your cam is off by 180 degrees or so now. And since your crank spins at a 2 to 1 ratio. Your timing will be close but possibly off.

Nick7.3

Reaction score
Those 2 holes dowel pin holes are for the alignment tool. They go in the top. That little dot by the gear tooth is your timing mark. Your cam is off by 180 degrees or so now. And since your crank spins at a 2 to 1 ratio. Your timing will be close but possibly off.

Right but how I pulled it off is how it went back together. The smaller dot on mine was pointed up and the 2 larger dots matched up with the timing mark on the crank adapter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.