Should I???

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Ok 1st time poster here so plz.be kind.just wondering if you all think I would benefit with upgrading from stock 15*hpop to sumin like the adrenaline or honey badger jr.I do have a slight romp at idle with all my tunes except stock.keep in mind these are tunes from 2009 has always been like that since installing chip.the old gal run so good I just never worried about it because I never drove the truck that much (avg.3500 miles a year since 2009).I have just installed the jw valve body and tru-track in rear wow what a difference,like a new truck difference.highly recommend both of those if anybody is on the fence about those mods.so what does the army allow!!!!
Thanks

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Welcome!
Getting away from the 15* pump is almost a must do. The larger injectors (and especially the split shots in the SD 7.3) need more oil, period. The upgrade aftermarket pumps are both good choices and guys have gotten great results. Go for it!

The romping is likely not the pump, but rather some ICP control issue-- either in the IPR/ ICP sensor, or the tuning itself needing a different calibration in that situation. If all the orings in the HPO system (IPR and injectors) have never been replaced, its time for that also.

I get the low mileage truck thing and living with stuff, however if it really affect driveability, ya need to fix it.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Welcome!
Getting away from the 15* pump is almost a must do. The larger injectors (and especially the split shots in the SD 7.3) need more oil, period. The upgrade aftermarket pumps are both good choices and guys have gotten great results. Go for it!

The romping is likely not the pump, but rather some ICP control issue-- either in the IPR/ ICP sensor, or the tuning itself needing a different calibration in that situation. If all the orings in the HPO system (IPR and injectors) have never been replaced, its time for that also.

I get the low mileage truck thing and living with stuff, however if it really affect driveability, ya need to fix it.

Yeah i belive I will just go ahead and pull the trigger on the hpop,been debating this for awhile now.the romping is not at all real bad.if i have to pull inj.probally just upgrade instead of just replacing o rings(down the road)I just wonder if tuneing has gotten better since "09"enough to justify getting a reburn??

joe d

Reaction score
I would say yes to the tunes tunning is changeing for the better as we speak so im sure there is a big change since 09

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Yeah may start looking at a reburn,any suggestions?I probally wouldn't be so worried about the hpop if it was a 17* but always heard if you had a early 99(15* hpop) it was a good idea to upgrade to 17* thus the reasoning for me wanting the aftermarket hpop.don't get me wrong this old truck runs really good the way it is.just has 143xxx miles on it,but it does romp a little especially after a wot pass.I know it's probably not good for it but it actually sounds mean the import crowd really thinks its mean especially after you get lined up with one between red lights lol..:tree:

Arisley

Reaction score
Swapping out my 15º pump for an Adrenaline and a new IPR really woke my old girl up. Smoothed out idle a bunch. I would highly recommend either of those pumps you mentioned, which ever one you do, get a new IPR also.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Thanks arisley thats kinda what i was wanting to hear surely can't hurt nothing..Yeah I'm like you may as well replace IPR why I'm in there.thinking maybe little injector upgrade on down the road anyway.anybody got any suggestions on a reburn for ts chip?

Arisley

Reaction score
I really like my Tony Wildman tunes. I have 250\200's with an adrenaline, H2E, home built regulated return fuel system, studs, springs, and a few other things, with Tony's tunes. Biggest thing is a broken transmission right now. Been running this setup for over 100K miles now. Never an issue with the motor. If you drive right, they are not very smoky, puff on takeoff. If you get lazy or need to, you can black out an intersection.

I have never, ever, worried about one of Tony's tunes causing a block to window.

psduser1

Reaction score
My vote is for ********. A little lighter on the hp, but 99% smokefree, except on his all out tune. Even then, it's not a blackout.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen he's been mentioned alot since I started searching this interweb thang.wonder what inj.would be good step up from the stock ab's and keeping the little e99 charger??sorry about your slush box been there and done that more than once..

dsberman94

Reaction score
I really like my Tony Wildman tunes.
I have never, ever, worried about one of Tony's tunes causing a block to window.

Do you happen to remember what tony charges for hydra tunes?

Nvm. $30 for one tune $75 for 3.

Last edited:

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I would be interested in this also.especially if I go to another hpop.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Welcome! I've always ran Swamps injectors and tunes and have had chips reburned a few times since '09... I've definitely noticed improvements in tuning over the years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah buddy of mine talks pretty high of them also,belive I'm just about 3.5-4 hours away from them.wonder if they do any live tuneing? btw I think I use to date your avatar..just kidding

mandkole

Reaction score
Yeah buddy of mine talks pretty high of them also,belive I'm just about 3.5-4 hours away from them.wonder if they do any live tuneing? btw I think I use to date your avatar..just kidding

Sure, they live tune. Just paying for time. For me, most of the fairly standard calibrations (stock parts) were dialed in pretty good by 2009-2010. A live tune would be worthwhile with bigger nozzle injectors.

Bill at PHP live tuned my truck for the PO about 6 yrs ago and still no need to change it. He has the throttle position to load and shift points really dialed in for the larger single.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yes, they live tune, but as stated you probably don't need it.

I ran different tunes with different injectors and noticed that they got it dialed in for less smoke as the years went on. I did have some specific changes I wanted for a 6spd and for my Excursion... Both are lifted and with the change in tire size there were some TC lockup and shift points I wanted to adjust in a couple tunes for the EX and a touchy pedal issue in one program for the 6spd. No live tuning needed on the EX, just talked to them, but the other truck had much larger injectors and had some specific feedback and tuning done. John was great to work with.

On edit: contrary to popular belief, it's not a self portrait- she's the mascot for Dank Tank at Sweetwater Brewery... Your ex may have been the inspiration, might want to look into royalties. LMAO!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Ok pulled the trigger on the hpop.can't hardy wait till it gets here.down loaded a couple directions for changing hpop.dont appear to be to big of a job(fingers crossed).May have to start growing backer again if I don't quite buying go go parts(ain't going happen).if I had been running a 17* hpop already probally wouldn't have got it,just can't help to think it will payoff.especially if I decide to go with different injectors on down the road.
cbf,I probally couldn't get no loyalties be hard to prove anythang after they cleaned her face up so much:lookaround:

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Been a day r two since I been on forum just wanted to update thread.changed out stock hpop to the adr..hpop this weekend.helped the truck somewhat,better idle,quicker starts,and more power especially in the hotter tunes.didn't run into to many problems with swap pretty straight forward install.I did loose the hpop reservior plug first thing and didn't find it until I made my own plug and got engine fired up,must have vibrated onto shop floor after I fired engine up.all in all a pretty good upgrade for my purposes.oh yeah almost buggered my hpop gear access cover up breaking ebs tube and sensor loose. still believe my old tunes are holding me back a little.
:jammin:
sqrlgtr

Latest posts

Members online