Single w/ Classic style Exhaust Brake?

BigPSD

Reaction score
Anyone know of any Single 6.4L running a classic style Butterfly Exhaust Brake?

What single kits should be looked at?

Are singles streetable for everyday use and able to tow 10k lbs?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I don't know of anybody doing the exhaust brake with a single, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. And a properly sized single is streetable and can be towed with. But if you go too big it will be a smokey, laggy, and have high egt's. But I would look into midwest diesel's single kit. Me personally I would go with a 66mm or a fmw 64mm if I was to do a single.

sootie

Reaction score
dont have an answer on the butterfly brake but there are quite a few threads going on singles right now. have a poke around...

Dan2427

Reaction score
Why is everybody asking about towing with a single if it works or not? Hasn't it worked for the last 20 years using single turbo diesel trucks? I mean I know how big/small of a turbo you get will make a difference, but I had an ATS 4000 turbo and EDE 225cc injectors in my 6.0 and I towed 4-10k lbs once twice a week? I guess I'm asking why is it bad to tow with a single now after that's all we really had years ago? Totally serious question by the way, I'm just hoping someone smarter can tell me why it's bad?

sootie

Reaction score
it seems to be a struggle for people to size turbos correctly...

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Another thing too is the single turbo kits for our trucks are non vgt.... All the other trucks you speak of are typically vgt singles which helps a lot towing.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Why is everybody asking about towing with a single if it works or not? Hasn't it worked for the last 20 years using single turbo diesel trucks? I mean I know how big/small of a turbo you get will make a difference, but I had an ATS 4000 turbo and EDE 225cc injectors in my 6.0 and I towed 4-10k lbs once twice a week? I guess I'm asking why is it bad to tow with a single now after that's all we really had years ago? Totally serious question by the way, I'm just hoping someone smarter can tell me why it's bad?

Another thing too is the single turbo kits for our trucks are non vgt.... All the other trucks you speak of are typically vgt singles which helps a lot towing.

It's not necessarily "bad". It all depends on turbo size, fueling, and of course tuning. Like CT9AIX said, vgt's help a ton in towing and bottom end spool up. There's give and take to both setups. OP, depending on the goals and what kind of fueling you have for the truck will determine what kind of towing you do. For me, cast 66 has been a fun turbo to drive, drop in drive pressure has been a big plus (running stock pistons) and on stock fuel. i've towed around 8k and it does decent. Plus pulling at elevation. Personally stock fuel a 64fmw or a ball bearing option would be a good setup for towing with a single on stock fuel. Plus make a good jump in hp with custom tunes as a combo. Higher stall converter is also a good idea. Personally, compound setup would be the best setup for towing and having fun. But I'm enjoying this single as is pretty well after adjusting driving habits a little. There's lots of threads about the singles on 6.4's, i'm running Midwests kit on my truck and the install was simple and flawless fit and finish. Plus it gives you room to expand into compounds. If you want pricing, let me know. :thumbsup:

Edit: As far as a exhaust brake, I don't see why a standard pac brake for a 4" down pipe couldn't be added in there. In theory, it should work.

Last edited:

Dan2427

Reaction score
Awesome. I was really just genuinely curious. And I totally forgot about VGT. Makes sense tho. Thanks for the comments and sorry for the thread to be derailed! I'm still debating about the 6.4 might just save my pennies and go 6.7 and leave it alone after deletes, but if I go 6.4 route I would have enough extra to play around a bit! Anyways thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
And to clarify, a s362fmw would make comparable power to stock charger minus the excess backpressure. And will spool and tow like a dream. We've ran s360's and 362-363's on 6.4's. They can have excellent spooling characteristics. The problem is that everyone sees "62mm" and freaks out sayin "my turbo on here is bigger! I'll lose power".... A 362 will make same or more than stock chargers. And a billet 66 will be comparable to 72/59... Yet I still get the people all the time saying that a 66 is too small and they want to run a s475 on stock fuel....

B.Warning

Reaction score

Everyone has different ideas of towing and what works for there application. That's where the confusion lies. Your setup works for you but the weight you consider towing people like myself laugh at. My trailer with a lawn mower and a ATV on it weigh more than what you tow. If you were to put 30k lbs behind your truck it'll act like a whole different animal.

Proper sizing is obviously key but I understand the confusion when some companies say you can tow with turbo X but a company 1000 miles away are saying no no no you need turbo Z.

It's all about doing your homework and asking opinions of others and finding out the general sizing needed.

Latest posts

Members online