slight shudder

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Changed the oil, filter, fuel filters before leaving for a trip yesterday. Stopped for fuel at about the 200 mile mark. Soon after noticed an odd shudder. I may have been there before the fuel stop, but not when I left home. I was towing my gooseneck.

Only time it does it is light throttle,(slightly downhill rd) While trying to maintain constant throttle position the Fuel rail pressure was jumping from about 7200-8500 with a light shudder. Everything else was normal. Idle was 5k frp, smooth as can be at any other rpm or boost level. Running spartan 250 tune. 500 miles later, its still doing the same thing, not better or worse.

I was just going to reload the tune and try again. I was just curious if this was a sign of a sensor or something in the fuel system failing.

jpfanner

Reaction score
Mine was doing that and it ended up being a cracked Fuel Rail Pressure sensor that leaked fuel into the crankcase and then caused a runaway condition and smoked my motor. Be sure to check check check your oil every day and smell it.

HD F250

Reaction score
Try tune and if that doesnt work you might have an injector going out

I have an injector that is going bad and it is causing a miss and fuel rail pressure is jumping bad. Get it scanned with IDS and they can read the injector contribution balance.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I am going to try and retune it. I always check the oil before I go anywhere since I normally tow long distance anyways. Would really suck if its an injector at 48k miles. Just another excuse for an upgrade though. Just wanted to make sure there was not something else I should check before I retune it.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Finally got to drive the truck. Switched to the spartan 300 tune. I thought the light throttle shudder went away. Got off the highway. The is a metal on metal noise that I believe is from the high pressure turbo. Noticeable even with the hood closed. Originally thought it was a idler pulley bearing going bad. But it sounds like its coming back of the motor. Almost positive the hp turbo

Next issue. Truck has a shudder at idle. Rail pressure bouncing from 5200-6400. Noticeable shake at idle in gear foot on brake.

No smoke. Felt perfect on the highway. Boost fine.

Related issues? 48k on the truck.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
And to add salt to the wound. Just tried to load a smaller tune to limp it home. Loading failed,so I have to load the stock tune, then retune. I don't have a stock tune to reload.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Sounds like it has a faint sound saying 59mm

That or something larger. I hate spending lot of money on little gains...

I have already come to terms that I am going to need to order a turbo/turbos tomorrow. I am more concerned with the bouncy rail pressure and shake/miss at idle now. I am worried its injector or hpfp related which will drastically change my turbo decision... I can't believe it has any relation to the turbo going out.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
That or something larger. I hate spending lot of money on little gains...

I have already come to terms that I am going to need to order a turbo/turbos tomorrow. I am more concerned with the bouncy rail pressure and shake/miss at idle now. I am worried its injector or hpfp related which will drastically change my turbo decision... I can't believe it has any relation to the turbo going out.

Trust me I have had many situations where I didn't know where to point initially. Just take a breath , you'll figure it out.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Of all the stupid things. When I changed the fuel filter before the last trip. The top filter. The bottom seal got stuck to the tube and I didn't see it. So it had two seals wedged all together. Fuel rail pressure is fine and shudder is gone. Just need to figure out the turbo issues now. Apparently I should not have opened my mouth saying how good of luck I have had with the turbos. It looks like the 71mm is on its way out.

HD F250

Reaction score
I am glad you found your shudder issue and it was not an injector/piston issue. BONUS!!!!! Hopefully, your 71mm is still under warranty and it will be a quick turnaround to have you up and running again.

pog

Reaction score
yeah didnt you say its just north of 15k on the 71? lots of shaft play in the 71?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Ok. I'm confused as can be right now. After finding that issue with the fuel filter. I started the truck up to verify the fuel issue was solved. Turbo was quite. Decided I would let it warm up to full temp. Still quite. Drove the truck all day. Still fine. So either the hp turbo is playing a joke on me and its going to grenade any minute. Or somehow the noise in he video was coming from the fuel bowl.

Truck is making 45psi boost at 1300rpms and 55psi wot just like normal.

I would say the 71mm turbo has around 0.040-0.060 shaft play. Not a lot by any means. But there was none about 1000 miles ago. There is also a black ring on the housing around the impeller that was not there 1000 miles ago. It feels smooth. Doesn't look like the wheel is hitting it, but I can't see any other way the black mark could get there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.